Fairly new to this!!!!! Thick egg membranes? Any ideas for the cause?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lindz8504, Jul 28, 2013.

1. lindz8504

lindz8504 Songster

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    I have 3 hens laying right now, 1 Buff Orp. and 2 buff Cochin Bantams. The B.O's eggs are large, brown and they crack much like store bought eggs. The Cochins' eggs are smaller and lighter brown and are a PAIN to crack, and often the shell will peel away from the membrane before I can get it broken enough to actually get it to crack! The hens are just getting the layer feed, and get the crushed egg shells about 1x a week. (whenever we cook eggs) I am not sure if this is normal for smaller eggs or if there is something up with the eggs? I don't think a chick would be able to hatch out of these eggs because the membrane is so tough! Any suggestions?

2. charlottejb

charlottejb Hatching

Jul 28, 2013
    Don't worry, a thick egg membrane is a sign of a healthy chicken[​IMG]
    As for the hatching, chicks actually have an 'egg tooth' which is capable of cutting through the membrane, so you shouldn't worry.
    Hope this helps!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They should be harder to crack, they are fresh. I can no longer crack store bought eggs. The last time I did, I gave a hard whack and pulverized it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: