Fairs and Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sylvie, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Sylvie

Sylvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Ohio
    Hi I am new to BYC and to raising chicks.
    We have a lot of County Fairs coming up and I wonder if I should go into the chicken exhibition buildings now that I have 2 1/2 week old chicks. Is that safe or could I bring home a disease by just being at the fair?

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

DO NOT wear the boots or clothing into your own coop when you get home. Take some bleach and water, dip the soles of your shoes into it, was your clothing and always wash your hands a lot and before you go in. Remember the Quarentine proceedures. Usually poultry has to pass some types of blood tests prior to going into the show (someone else would know more) but, just keep in mind that you probably won't bring anything home, but use caution and you will not have any problems. Go in and see what your missing for birds! heeehheeee and enjoy.

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    We showed chickens at our county fair a couple of years ago, and they didn't ask for ANY documentation of the birds' health or vaccinations. They just took any old birds from anyone's flock, no questions asked.

To top it all off, the second morning of the fair when I went to feed and take care of my birds, someone had gotten into the poultry barn in the night and opened all the cages, letting all the chickens out. There were still people running around with nets and hen catcher thingies catching loose birds, and they had no idea which bird went in which cage. I had to go pick out my 6 chooks and put them back in their cages.

So some fairs are careful with birds and some are not. You never know what you'll bring home from a fair. Just wash your clothes, shoes, hands, before going to your own birds and you should be fine.

4. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    Our fair does require proof that your birds are from healthy flocks. But as mentioned before I would still be careful!!

5. Sylvie

Sylvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Ohio
    Thanks for good advice.
    I am looking forward to the fairs.
    Going into the poultry barns last year is how I ended up with chicks this year LOL![​IMG]

6. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

lol....sucker...fell for a perty face did you? Mezmerized enough by those fluffy little buggers that you had to have one! Ha ha ha...Often that is why I do not go near those cute places!
    I cannot imagine any of my birds going to fairs or shows...for starters I don't have that type quality bird, mine are pretty simple...but I would be very upset when some kid or ADULT walked by and poked at my bird, let alone I'd still kick someone that did anything to any animal or bird.
    Its so sad that fairs have become the midway events, they always have been to a degree, yet the community used to be more involved with animal welfare, disease control and teaching.
    I plan on copying a article for our Chickenstock here in Maine regarding quarentine. It is important, plus that, it makes the stress on the bird a little easier because those girls can be brutal, let alone disease.
    Enjoy your fair, find a padlelock for you fair cages, how terrible of an event. Hope your girls came home ok.
    Should we quarentine our flock after a fair?

7. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Mine all came home okay, luckily. I didn't even know enough to quarantine them after bringing them home. IF I ever do take any to the fair again, which I doubt I'll consider, I will definitely take padlocks for my cages. I was so mad that morning when I got there to find all the birds loose and mixed up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by