Fairy egg, now a blue tipped comb

Bk5566

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 11, 2012
One of my Orpingtons started laying in February and was a strong layer all summer. In July, she laid a fairy egg shaped like a bullet and about the size of my thumb. Since then, she hasn't laid any eggs at all and She dutifully heads up to the nest box nearly every day but doesn't deliver (internal laying maybe?). She "squats" every time she sees me heading for the coop (which I find hilarious and my husband finds troubling). I have noticed that she occasionally has a very slight blue tint to the far back portion of her comb. . She is otherwise seemingly healthy. I have attached a picture - she is at the back, you can see her comb is slightly blue. Thoughts on what is going on and whether I will ever get another egg?

One of my Orpingtons started laying in February and was a strong layer all summer. In July, she laid a fairy egg shaped like a bullet and about the size of my thumb. Since then, she hasn't laid any eggs at all and She dutifully heads up to the nest box nearly every day but doesn't deliver (internal laying maybe?). She "squats" every time she sees me heading for the coop (which I find hilarious and my husband finds troubling). I have noticed that she occasionally has a very slight blue tint to the far back portion of her comb. . She is otherwise seemingly healthy. I have attached a picture - she is at the back, you can see her comb is slightly blue. Thoughts on what is going on and whether I will ever get another egg?

Is she getting enough calcium in her diet? Hard to tell from picture as she is at the back,but she looks a little thin. Blue tint to comb can mean several things,can be hormonal,if they are chilled or upset,or could indicate circulation issues as in heart related. If she was an internal layer,after this length of time she would be very ill.

Thanks for the quick reply. I think she isn't skinny - I think she is just stretching her neck to see the camera. I have attached another photo of just her. She has access to food and certainly eats when I bring treats and she has access to oyster shells at all times as well.

Back
Top Bottom