Fairy eggs after normal egg laying?

DavidReaves

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Apr 2, 2022
Granbury, Texas (near Fort Worth)
I have a pullet, about 10 months old that has been laying consistently 3-4 eggs per week over the winter. She laid a full-size egg on Monday, didn't lay Tuesday, and has produced a fairy egg both yesterday and today. Should I be concerned that something has happened, or should I just assume that it is a normal glitch and will resolve itself? She is a Cream Legbar, hatched in May 2022. She is eating and drinking normally and there is no sign of distress.

Here's a photo of the eggs, with a penny for scale reference.

Attachments

• Fairy-eggs.jpg
    Fairy-eggs.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 37
I have a pullet, about 10 months old that has been laying consistently 3-4 eggs per week over the winter. She laid a full-size egg on Monday, didn't lay Tuesday, and has produced a fairy egg both yesterday and today. Should I be concerned that something has happened, or should I just assume that it is a normal glitch and will resolve itself? She is a Cream Legbar, hatched in May 2022. She is eating and drinking normally and there is no sign of distress.

Here's a photo of the eggs, with a penny for scale reference.
I got a fairy egg 2 days in a row after getting mainly large to jumbo sized eggs and then no more. Both were from RIR hens. One a light brown and one a chocolate brown. That made me wonder if one hen did it or there were 2 of them. I have them in an Easter basket with 2 jumbo eggs as an egg family.

Attachments

• EggBasket.jpg
    EggBasket.jpg
    559.4 KB · Views: 10
Ok, so I think the question has still not been answered. I have the same question: I have a 3-4 year old hen who's been a great layer, she's molted once already, was again laying regularly but then laid a fairy egg, and then an elongated fairy egg and has stopped laying altogether. What's up with that? Is she just maybe done laying for good?

Ok, so I think the question has still not been answered. I have the same question: I have a 3-4 year old hen who's been a great layer, she's molted once already, was again laying regularly but then laid a fairy egg, and then an elongated fairy egg and has stopped laying altogether. What's up with that? Is she just maybe done laying for good?
It's possible.

Back
Top Bottom