fairy ring fungus Toxic or not?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bethanyrae, Nov 6, 2009.

  1. bethanyrae

    bethanyrae Chillin' With My Peeps

    176
    1
    121
    Apr 5, 2009
    mid-Michigan
    We have these fairy ring fungi growing around some of our evergreen trees, and it's about impossible to do a google search for whether it's toxic to chickens. There seems to be some called chicken fungus, and they also like to serve some with chicken! UH.

    My fingernails are crusted with it now, but you can't get it all up, and we're going to look for a fungicide...maybe....if that's not going to hurt the hens.

    Anybody know anything about this stuff?

    Thanks,
    bethanyrae
     
  2. A.T. Hagan

    A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

    5,381
    133
    303
    Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I've never known my birds to eat toadstools and we have a lot of them in Florida in the rainy season. I wouldn't worry about it.

    .....Alan.
     
  3. Puck-Puck

    Puck-Puck Chillin' With My Peeps

    Hi, there!
    If the mushrooms are growing around certain of your evergreen trees, they are probably helping the trees' roots take up nutrients. Before hauling out fungicide, could you post a close-up photo of the mushrooms? Many are edible for people, and may well be harmless for chickens as well. If I could see, I might be able to help.
     
  4. silkiechicken

    silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

    I agree, if it's around the tree, it is likely to be mutualistic and essential for the tree to survive. For a period of time, evergreen trees were taken to Europe for tree farming, but they did not survive. Turned out that a specific fungus did not exist in their soils, so the trees could now grow until the fungus was imported.
     
  5. elmo

    elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

    4,852
    39
    249
    May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Is it in your chicken run? Generally speaking, I only worry about toxic plants if they're in the run and the chickens might be tempted out of boredom or lack of other options to chow down on them. For example, I've got english ivy growing in the back of my yard, but our chickens aren't interested in eating it (it tastes bad, apparently). So I'm not going to bother ripping it out.
     
  6. SurprisingWoman

    SurprisingWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

    502
    1
    131
    May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    My girls have a half acre to forage in. This spring was VERY wet and we had mushrooms everywhere.

    I did a lot of research and I read that the chickens seemed to know which mushies were okay and which were not.

    A couple of week later we had a new growth of fungi sprout in a new place and the chickens didn't touch them.

    I think they have a pretty good idea of what they can eat. I wouldn't pick and toss things into their run I was unsure of, but if they have a good area to forage in and they are eating them, it should be okay.
     
  7. Imp

    Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

    The very first wild mushrooms I ever ate were Fairy Ring mushrooms, growing in a cemetary. if I survived that your chickens are fine. [​IMG]

    Imp- please don't eat them unless they are properly identified.
     
  8. bethanyrae

    bethanyrae Chillin' With My Peeps

    176
    1
    121
    Apr 5, 2009
    mid-Michigan
    Oh wow...thanks everyone!
    I even have a big hardcover mushroom ID book, and it didn't say anything near what you all did. We also have rings around a lot of our trees that the hens don't have access to. I guess we'll leave them! We love our trees, too.

    I did see little peck marks on a few of the ones I pulled out, but only a couple of hens were back there. I'll try to get a picture of the ones I didn't pull.

    I just love BYC and you all...
    thanks
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by