Fairy Tail horse recipe

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by petchickenlover, Jun 13, 2011.

1. petchickenlover

petchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    I got this from a friend, she said it was the recipe from the website "fairy tail horses" -- It's pretty much home made MTG. I haven't tried it, but if any of you have I'm interested to hear the results.

I was also told the book was a waste of money, so don't bother getting it.
    1.buy 'flowers of sulfur' at a pharmacy.
    2.latex gloves!
    3. any sort of Vaseline tub
    How you make it:
    1.put on latex gloves (sulfur can burn the skin if not done properly)
    2.scoop up some of the sulfur,take a large spoon full and mix it into the tub of Vaseline until its all blended in, the Vaseline should have a slight yellow tint.
    CAREFUL not to add too much sulfur!!!

The reason the sulfur is safe is because it is bonded with the vaseline
    To apply it to the mane,split the mane right down the middle on the crest and rub in, and for the tail just apply it to the tail bone.
    Pretty much the same as MTG - Make sure to apply it in the evening because it will burn them in direct sunlight!
    Be sure to test your horse to make sure it isn't allergic.​

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    That's one of the "old timer" recipes for manes and tails that I first knew about over 35 yrs ago! Mostly walking horse people used it around here, and then also for wounds to grow the hair back in the same color and not come in white...they used the same sulfur and mixed it with BACON GREASE! I know for a fact the bacon grease/sulphur worked because I used to make it and use it for around all cuts and scrapes after they started healing and sure enough they all grew hair back in over them with barely a scar and it was always in same hair color without white. You could keep this stuff out in the winter, no problem but it would have to go in fridge during the hotter months. The sulphur and vaseline works by keeping the hair supple and I was told that the sulphur somehow stimulates hair growth. Always looked like it worked when the manes and tails were unbraided and washed/dried/combed out for shows. Sure did stink though while it was in use..NO FLIES! Funny to read your post and remember all this!

3. petchickenlover

Sep 9, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] i imagine it would stink! glad I didn't pay $35 for it... doesn't seem like much of a secret!

4. AngelzFyre

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Oh my! 35 dollars!
    I'm glad you didn't pay that either.
    What we used most of all was Show Sheen, LOTS of it on both mane and tails and making sure if you braided them to take them down at least every other day and rebraid so that they didn't start pulling and make the horse itch where they would start rubbing and pull all the hair out. MTG will work too but it takes longer.
    Horses, like people are all different and some breeds just grow better manes and tails than others. Keeping the manes and tails clean and tangle free do the best for optimum hair growth, along with proper nutrition of course. There are lots of supplements that you can feed internally too that help..with flaxseed and omega 3's. [​IMG]

5. petchickenlover

Sep 9, 2008
    Quote:I've never thought of using showsheen... hmm, i might have to try that,too!
    My mare's forelock is very...well, thin.. and kind of strangely textured compared to the rest of her mane. [​IMG] so i've been trying to get it to grow out and [hopefully] be not so weird..

6. AngelzFyre

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    It may be different textured because it was cut at one time or even hormonal differences can do that in mares. We had an Arabian mare at our barn that had the most gorgeous long, thick mane but her forelock had been cut in front of the place it was supposed to when she moved while bridle path was being trimmed and it never did grow back in the same. It was very sparse even though the rest of her mane and tail were thick as could be. When this particular mare had belonged to the previous owner they also kept under the forelock trimmed so it would lay down better under the bridle's head piece so that could have been some of her problem too. Show Sheen did keep it looking fuller and she also started cutting the bridle path back a tiny bit farther to use some of that hair to fill in more. Kept it braided with yarn so it wouldn't pull hair out like the rubber bands and that worked great. Good luck with your mare's forelock! [​IMG]

7. petchickenlover

Sep 9, 2008
    Quote:thanks [​IMG] i have a feeling someone cut it once [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by