Fajita has a swollen abdomen and keeps clenching unclenching her vent

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gr0m1t, Jan 11, 2017.

1. She had been walking like a penguin and I had been thinking she looked old. Then she didn't get onto her perch one night so I brought her indoors. Her abdomen was very hot.
    For the first time ever, I put my finger in a vent - rubber glove and lots of olive oil. I got it as far as the first knuckle just short of an inch. I couldn't feel an egg.
    I've given her a little calcium, a tiny amount of kefir and yesterday pm I started her on colloidal silver.
    Her abdomen has cooled down a bit. It is still swollen.
    I had ruled out eggbound, but I'm back to wondering. There is still that involuntary clenching and unclenching her vent in time with her breathing. Her breathing isn't noisy. She had a wander around the living room this morning and picked at the food I have down and drank a bit of water (with cider apple vinegar). She's now lying down which isn't that unusual.

2. Allisha

Allisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Hmmn...
    I personally think she is eggbound. It could be something else, but I think that she is eggbound. I am personally NOT any help when it comes to solving this problem, so hopefully someone else will come along soon.

Look up videos/articles that may help you determine if she is eggbound (symptoms), and then how to treat it. It is very tricky business, though.

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hi gr0m1t

I am definitely not an expert when it comes to what ails chickens but her symptoms sound like egg yolk peritonitis or as Allisha has suggested, egg binding or internal laying:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention

http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/backyard-poultry/egg-yolk-peritonitis/

I do hope you are able to help her.

PS. You might want to post on the Emergencies & Disease Forum where they will be more experienced people: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please post in fullest detail, at "Emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures, " thread. Photos would also be good to show the want she stands etc. If she isn't egg bound, she may have a broken egg inside her. Both are serious conditions if not treated promptly. If you post on the ER thread please know if you go OFFLINE, no one will be able to contact you.

You can also put "Emergency thread" in the search box and it will come up for you fast.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I hope the ER folks can help you out.

Best wishes to you and your girl.

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! As NFC said, hope you get the assistance you need for Fajita. Best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by