Fajita has a swollen abdomen and was clenching and unclenching her abdomen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gr0m1t, Jan 14, 2017.

1. [​IMG]
    CLENCHING AND UNCLENCHING HER VENT
    I noticed she was looking off colour and walking about as if she'd just got off a horse about a week ago. Then I just put it down to her age. We've just worked out now that she is only 3 years old. When I first realised she was sick, she had not been able to get onto the perch in the chook pen. Her abdomen was swollen and very hot.I bathed her and then put a little olive oil in her vent. For the last 4 days I've been feeding her colloidal silver and bathing her occasionally. Today I squeezed some olive oil into her butt. Her eyes are still bright. She is 'with it' but not moving about much. I caught her dribbling about 10 mins after I had put her outside, I'm guessing that was the colloidal silver and it had been in her crop. I'm hoping this was a one-off because I haven't seen little puddles of water inside after colloidal sliver treatment. Her crop is virtually empty, she's not eating very much although she gobbled up a cricket and 3 flying ants that we found in the house. I've put her with the flock during the day and she got onto her perch a couple of nights ago. She is definitely more feisty than when I first brought her in and I don't think her abdomen is so hot although it is still as swollen and very taut.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  2. Sorry. Clenching and unclenching her vent. I haven't noticed that so much the last two days.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It appears Fajita could have acites, pronounced ah-see-tees. Liver failure causes fluid to build up in the abdominal cavity. There is no cure, and the cause may be unknown unless you have a necropsy performed when she dies.

There's also a chance, since the skin appears very red and you say it is hot to the touch, that an infection is involved. I would examine her skin closely for signs of an injury that may have introduced bacteria into her system. If it's an infection, she may need to be treated with an antibiotic.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would do some research about internal laying and egg yolk peritonitis which is very common in hens over two. Ascites may cause a tight belly from fluid, and can be common in heart or liver failure, as well as with peritonitis. If her abdomen doesn't feel tight, then there could be egg masses felt from EYP or even oviduct cancer. Sometimes it is just guesswork unless Xrays are done or a necropsy after death. If ascites is the problem, many remove fluid from the belly with a large 18 gauge needle at intervals, which may help to relieve pressure and ease pain. There are several good threads to look for in the search box at the top of this page.

5. Thanks for your reply. I am giving her colloidal silver which is an antibiotic/ anti viral and anti fungal. But having looked up the description of Ascites earlier, I decided it probably wasn't that, It's a meat-bird disease and much less common in layers also more common at high altitudes and we're on Magnetic Island, less that 100 m above sea level. EXCEPT, I've just this minute read it can be caused by toxins from rattlepod and I have a horrible feeling that is their favourite snack :(. Having checked pictures, at least it's not their favorite. phew. Another symptom of ascites is respiratory difficulty and she is breathing fine. Definitely going to check the garden for Clostridium perfringens (rattlepod), tho.

6. She has a very tight belly, but no respiratory distress. She's just forlorn. :(. she flew out out my hands yesterday and rolled down the last 3 stairs, that hasn't helped). She's now limping slightly and doing these huge puddles of diarrhea

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by