"Fake" African Geese

muddywaterducks

In the Brooder
May 30, 2016
NC
It is my understanding that Africans must have dewlaps to be Africans. Many hatcheries such as Metzer sell "Super" Africans. These super Africans have dewlaps. Their "normal" Africans have no dewlaps. Many people say that African geese with no dewlaps are just inter-breed with Chinese geese. Do you guys think this is true? I mean the breed standard they must have a dewlap
Production quality or not they must have a dewlap. I personally believe Africans should have a dewlap regardless. What would that make Metzer Farms "Normal" Stock?

"True African" With Dewlap
220px-AfricanGooseBrown_4632.jpg

African? What even is this? I do not think this is an African. Maybe a AfricanxChinese?
african-goose_0830aws.jpg

Not sure why, but somewhere along the line, they started distinguishing africans as "super," which is basically the breed standard, and "hatchery" africans, which seem more like an african/chinese cross. I would assume this was to increase egg production, but retain some of the calmer personality of the african.

I have a pair of hatchery africans from metzer. As youngsters they looked like crosses. But they ultimately developed dewlaps and lobes after 3-4 years. They are now 6yo, and it is very hard to distinguish them from my other "super" africans.

So from what I've gathered, Metzer Farms "normal Africans" Are not Africans at all. Many say that they are mere Chinese hybrids! Their "Super Africans" are the true Africans and aren't special at all. So if you are ordering from them and want show quality Africans or just want true Africans go with the supers! I wonder why metzer created their hybrids....

Back
Top Bottom