Fake Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coachwife2004, Jan 26, 2009.

1. coachwife2004

coachwife2004 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Texas
    Has anyone ever used those fake ceramic eggs? I've seen them and always wondered if they encouraged the first timers to lay or if there was some other purpose for them? [​IMG]

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Fake eggs are great for showing them the purpose of the nest. Also we think they feel its safe to lay there since an egg is already there. Jean

3. Three_Blessings

Three_Blessings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Barry county, Michigan
    We use golf balls with our girls and they took right to it.

4. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    I use the wooden eggs.. They really work, every nest I put then in they lay. The empty nest, they sleep in at night. So luckily, no poopy eggs!!!

5. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    i use golfballs too... it shows the hens WHERE to lay... if not they just lay them anywhere and everywhere, even on the ground in the middle of the yard.... or the will HIDE them and you will never ever find them,, someone will sit on them and one day a hen will show up with chicks.... it usually happens to my once a year or so...

6. lavacaw

lavacaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    I use the fake eggs not only to encourage laying where I want them to but also for snakes. We have a big problem with chicken snakes in the spring and early summer some years. Giving them "snake eggs" takes care of the problem since they feed at night and I have already collected all the chicken eggs.[​IMG]

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Does anyone know where to where to get cheap fake eggs??

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I use golf balls. A friend who works at a golf course brought me some that they collect (lost balls) free. I think most hatcheries and companies that sell egg cartons and such sell wooden eggs.

9. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    We use golf balls and plastic Easter eggs. The plastic ones work a little better if you put something in them for a little weight, then glue them shut.

The dollar stores will get cheap plastic eggs for Eaaster soon....or they may already have them in stock.

10. valmom

valmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    Vermont
    I used the plastic Easter eggs with some sand in them to try to get my girls to go broody. It didn't work, but the eggs were really cheap at the dollar store and sand is free.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by