1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fake Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Leah and peeps, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Hi everyone,

So, i know that a lot of people put fake eggs or golfballs in there nest boxes to encourage and get your chickens to lay in the box.
    My question is what age should you put in the fake? I was just worried if you put it in to early they would go into the nest box and start to peck it and possibly when they do start to lay, they would peck/eat their own eggs.?? [​IMG]
    Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  2. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    I keep a pair of golf balls there all the time - so young ones just grow up seeing them. It hasn't been a problem with pecking so far.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Most hens are not egg peckers, so try not to worry.

I use fake eggs in a number of places where my wayward free-rangers lay to encourage them to go back to that place,

Sandie

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I use my "nest eggs" when my girls start getting careless and laying places they shouldn't... it kinda seems to remind them where they sould lay.

5. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I use golf balls/fake eggs. Some people even use them to DISCOURAGE egg eating because the hens will peck at them and not get a reward, so they give it up.

Good luck!

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    My OP is that the wooden eggs that I use "discourage" them from egg eating. Once they hurt their beaks pecking at the fake egg they may figure all eggs are hard and will hurt their beaks. I keep the wooden eggs in the the nest 24/7.

Nest boxes should be small enough so they can't hang out and walk around. Also they should be dark inside. Hens like their privacy.

7. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    We have never used any type of fake eggs and my chickens lay in the nest boxes just fine.

8. Lynette

Lynette Chillin' With My Peeps

My pullets will be 4 months old next week. Should I put fake eggs in their nest boxes now or wait? And if I wait, how old do they need to be? And also, can I use plastic colored easter eggs?

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Don't wait to put the fake eggs in the nest boxes. If you use plastic Easter Eggs, fill them with sand and glue them shut, so they are at least as heavy as a real egg. Otherwise the pullets will just kick 'em around like soccer balls and maybe even peck them open. You do NOT want that to happen.

10. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:Well my guess would be your related to Martha Stewart. [​IMG] And of course her chickens are smarter than other chickens. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by