fake owl for christmas

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hatchcrazzzy, Dec 25, 2007.

1. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    a friend of mine gave a plastic owl about 18 inches tall.he said to put it on top off my chicken house.it would keep snakes away.is this true ?will it keep any animals away?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2007
  2. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I don't know about snakes, do they look up. Anyway they are great for keeping birds of prey away.... other owls, hawks etc...

Good gift. I'd put it on a post of my chicken run fence.

Julie [​IMG]

3. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    thanks i will do that

4. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I personally don't think it will keep birds of prey away-afterall owls hunt mainly at night and hawks in the day. I have seen them be perched on widow ledges in the city to keep pigeons away and it didn't work then. I would think afterawhile they will figure out the owl hasn't moved. So you will have a nice decoration.

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I did some reading about owls after a real family of 3 owls (adult with the 2 babies [​IMG] moved into the hay barn next door to my garden. They were of enormous help in keeping down the mice and rabbit damage to the garden, I believe. At least, the damage was a good deal less than in previous years.

There were lots of "owl pellets" with mouse bones on the floor of the barn. Also, the skin and bones of at least one rabbit. And, plenty of bird feathers - doves, pigeons, flickers, even the feet and wings of a sea gull!?!

At any rate, I came across recommendations by a natural resources guy on using decoys to keep pests out of the garden. His recommendation was to move the decoy multiple times during the day.

He wrote that it wasn't necessary to move it far. Some of the time, just turning it on its perch was sufficient but it should "travel" a little around the yard. And, having it somewhat hidden most of the time was a good idea.

From watching the live owls, I realized what he meant. If the owls were still out at sunrise, the magpies would sometimes mob them. They would hang out in the evergreen branches thru the day if they weren't in the barn. Of course, you want the critters to actually SEE the decoy but if they can't see it real well AND it moves around, they become anxious and don't stay around.

Some of the starlings had nests right in the barn with the owls. I don't think the baby starlings got out alive, tho'. Honestly, I have NO idea how your chickens will react to the decoy.

Steve

Last edited: Dec 25, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by