Fakeout!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hensndoes, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Hensndoes

Hensndoes Songster

Jun 18, 2017
    My beloved sexlink Rosa laid an egg 2 weeks ago after a freeloading siesta. I let the ladies rest and don't supplement lighting (makes you appreciate the eggs more). She hasn't laid an egg since! I've had 3 other ladies come back online since but not her. What the ?... Before you ask: yes proper food this forum has taught me well. She is one of our originals and just coming out of her 2nd winter (laid through her first). The other originals include a wyandotte who laid her first egg today and an Easter egger who laid yesterday, and a cuckoo who has been laying solid 2 weeks.

A few others haven't laid yet but it's that she laid weeks ago and not since that confuses me. Trump it up to hatchery breeds?

2. Boonie Stomper

Boonie Stomper Songster

Jan 1, 2018
    DC, MD, VA region
    have you tried putting Rosa in the nest with an egg in it? Maybe she'll realize you want her back to work and that lay-off is over.
    :D

Hensndoes likes this.
  3. BroodyMama1

BroodyMama1 Chirping

Feb 21, 2018
    Kentucky
    Was it her first ever? This is my first flock they will be a year old in spring. When my leghorn laid her first egg it was soooo exciting and then nothing. For almost a month. It was like she had a trial run and was like nope not for me.

Hensndoes likes this.
  4. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Songster

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    Is it possible that she is beginning her molt? They stop laying at that time and perhaps it's not obvious yet? She will begin again!

Hensndoes likes this.
  5. Hensndoes

Hensndoes Songster

Jun 18, 2017
    She 2 yrs ol and had a hard molt late fall. So bad I had to bring her in and fed her cans of tuna when she was walking like a drunken chicken. Looked pitiful. She is a hatchery sexlink so I'm hoping she isn't done laying. Just odd she laid 1 egg then nothing. Seems healthy as can be.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Do you free range?
    She could have a hidden nest.
    Due to need of special care during molt she may have some kind of nutrient uptake issue.
    Is she now approx. 24 months old?

Hensndoes likes this.
  7. BroodyMama1

BroodyMama1 Chirping

Feb 21, 2018
    Kentucky
    Could be age. Also have you checked her for bugs? I went from 4-6 eggs a day to about 2-3. Thought it was just winter but on one of my monthly checks I saw these bugs all over a few. Was poultry lice. Super cleaned coop, got the good kind of dirt bath and powdered them down with Garden and Poultry dust. A week later not a single lice and my egg yield went right back up to 4-6. Turns out the lice make stop laying.

Hensndoes likes this.
  8. Hensndoes

Hensndoes Songster

Jun 18, 2017
    Thanks for the ideas. I will have to check again for bugs. Yes she is almost 24 months and like the rest appears perfectly healthy. It's still hard winter here so they don't freerange yet (they don't like the snow).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by