Faking broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by QualityPolish, Mar 25, 2012.

1. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Well as you know Polish don't go broody very often so I've been getting excited seeing my hen lay in the nesting boxes more than usual. Although I'm not sure if this is just her trying to coax out an egg or if she's trying to go broody.

Here is her schedule

Morning- Off nest to eat
    Mid Morning - Possibly gets on, or still eats
    Afternoon - Sit on eggs
    Mid Afternoon - Sit on eggs sometimes get off for another hen to take her place.
    Evening - Get off to eat
    Around 8 o'clock - Go back on eggs with another hen.
    Night - Another hen sleeps on eggs.

What the crud is going on. 3 Hens??? Although during the morning hours no one is on the eggs until afternoon. Is this just a stage of broodiness or is it egg coaxing?

QP

2. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Any help?

3. Maggie C

Maggie C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    Largo, FL
    Sorry, I have no knowledge of Polish but I do have a Light Brahma that is behaving similarly. What the heck is up with that? She has always laid her eggs later in the day - 1-2pm and now she stays in the nest box until the following morning. Funny though, she is usually the first one out of the coop and doesn't go back until she is ready to lay again. BTW, I don't have a rooster so she is wasting her time anyway. LOL The first time it happened, I noticed she had been in the nesting box for an awfully long time - about 3 hours - so went to check on her. She is a slightly "special" girl and I don't think she sees out of her left eye. Anyway, checked on her and she about took my hand off so I just backed off and left her alone. This happens a couple of days a week???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by