Faking out a broody hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Frannabelle, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    Is it possible to fake out my broody cochin bantam hen by placing newly hatched chicks in her nest? Or is it more she'll either accept them or give them the big peck? (in that case I would get them away from her ASAP!)

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Both scenarios are possible, so be watchfull. Best chances of her accepting the chicks are if she`s been on some eggs for a couple weeks or so. The chicks need to be as close to day olds as possible and the swap (eggs for chicks) needs to be done at night, in the dark, so as to stress her as little as possible. You must be there in the morning when she wakes up to assure that she accepts them. Good luck.........Pop

3. Frannabelle

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    That's what I was thinking...swap them at night after everyone's calm. I will have day old chicks in a week, and just thought why not try it, it would be great if a Mama could raise them up
    thanks!

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

It really depends on the hen, some will take right to them others not. The thing with incubated chicks is they won't know the hens "cluck" and don't always follow her. We always put them together in a small area for a while until they learn.

Steve

5. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I "grafted" 4 day-olds to two broody's in the same nest box 3 weeks ago. they are co-mothering beautifully. I would never brood chicks again if I could have a broody hen do it. I did exactly like pop said and did it at night. watching a hen with chicks is amazing. they now roost with all the others in the flock. good luck!

6. Frannabelle

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    Quote:I like this....So it does work if you do it at night? This is my hope, never having to set up a brooder again! I will, but it would be soooo nice

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2010
  7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Perch, it`s like Steve said. It really depends on the hen and not just that, but on her maturity and experience. That`s why I said "Be there when she wakes up". Could work like a charm, but it could also be a disaster.......Pop

8. consdrs

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Quote:I like this....So it does work if you do it at night? This is my hope, never having to set up a brooder again! I will, but it would be soooo nice

you have no idea how nice it is!! I checked them at first light and all was well had to lift both hens up to see where my 4 chicks were. no brooder box, no lamps, no dust in house. you would be hard pressed to get me to brood chicks without a broody! I fenced them off from the rest for 2 weeks and then let them mingle and there was no trouble at all!

9. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I just did this last Friday with my broody. She'd been sitting in different nests with no eggs for three weeks. I was trying to break her by shooing her out of the nest and taking all eggs but she was determined. I finally broke down and got a couple of two day olds and stuck them under her that night. She took to them just fine and has had a blast with them for the last week. She is so happy!

[​IMG]

10. consdrs

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Quote:[​IMG] Yeah for her! my two moms are so great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by