Falcon egg under broody hen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundrawooky

Chirping
Aug 17, 2022
Fairbanks, Alaska
I was thinking about getting into falconry, and I know where a falcon nest is here in Alaska. I was thinking I could steal an egg then slip it under my buff Orpington at night, then after it hatches I could raise the falcon vs having to buy one.
Should work right?

I would advise against this for ethical reasons, and then there's the legality of it--which it isn't.

Some Alaska.gov resources on Falcons

From Alaska Fish & Game:

"Bag limit​

One passage falconry raptor as defined in 5 AAC 92.037(f), a current hatch year bird capable of sustained flight. Adult and nestling birds may not be taken.

• Peregrine falcons may be taken only by Master Class falconers or General Class falconers with at least two years’ experience at the General class.

Areas Open to Take of Falconry Raptors​

The DWC has not closed any areas to take of falconry raptors. However, the permittee is responsible for knowing whose land they are on and for acquiring permits or permission from the landowner/manager."

Only if you like jail. This is a bad idea from start to finish.

You're only allowed to take a bird from the wild if:
you have all the proper falconry licenses and permits
valid Alaska hunting permit
approval from authorities of mews and housing, (they come and check your facilities)
approval from authorities upon notification that you intend to take a bird from the wild
bird has to be of an approved species
Eggs do not count as birds, they fall under illegal possession.

My adviceto you is to do your research on what all falconry entails. what permits and requirements you need, and what type of housing you need. You don't just start by "I think I'll get into falconry, I should go steal a bird." If you think the price of a bird is high, falconry isn't for you. It's not a cheap hobby.
Falcons can hurt you pretty badly if they're trained improperly.

And if you decide to do it anyway, someone is bound to notice that you have a raptor, they're going to ask for your permits which you won't have so you'll be fined and put in jail and the bird will likely be culled.

Last edited:
I planned on doing all the legal paperwork and permits to legally do this. And I plan to get training and familiarized with the the activity before diving in. My question was whether you think my hen would hatch the egg. I'm not planning to break any laws.

If you read what we shared with you, you would know that collecting an egg is illegal regardless of any permits or training you completed.

A surface scan would inform you that you can only collect a yearling bird capable of sustaining flight.

This excludes all breeding adults, nesting fledglings, and unhatched eggs.

I hope this answers whether or not you should attempt to hatch the egg yourself. The answer is no.

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act prohibits the taking, killing, capturing, transporting, harboring of the birds or hatching eggs, that which are Native to the United States of America, Europe and central Asia. All are protected by state and federal agencies.

https://www.fws.gov/birds/policies-and-regulations/laws-legislations/migratory-bird-treaty-act.php

https://www.birdlife.org/europe-and-central-asia/policy/species-protection-and-hunting-birds

Any threads started on this subject will be closed.

Thank you for your understanding.

-BYC Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom