Fall Chicken Garden

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CompostQueen, Aug 24, 2010.

1. CompostQueen

CompostQueen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    I am in the process of ripping out my summer garden, corn, sunflowers, etc. What can I plant for fall that the chickens would like? What cover crops do they like?

2. mxer

mxer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    W. Cen. Ohio
    I just saw on P. Allen Smith last week about some type of rye grass. U may look on his website.

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Nice ID CompostQueen! Where do you live? That might make a difference. My girls really liked brussel sprouts, broccoli, carrot tops, radish tops, snow peas, radicchio, endive, all different kinds of lettuce, bok choy and I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot. I don't have space to grow cover crops so hopefully others will offer advice.

4. CompostQueen

CompostQueen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    Quote:Thank you!

I live in Central Virginia.

5. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:Thank you!

I live in Central Virginia.

I'm envious of your moderate climate. Happy growing. [​IMG]

6. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
  7. PAJerry

PAJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Waterford, PA
    In your climate, give kale a try and you might harvest most of the winter. Premier variety of Kale is listed by Ohio State as having 15-17% protein. My flock loves the stuff, but because our climate is much colder than yours, it doesn't grow all winter, but does come back in the spring. Seed is really cheap too.

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I was going to suggest kale, too. My chard also lasts until late in the season. I've brushed snow off the parsley to harvest it, but the chickens are most fond of the the greens.

9. laughaha

laughaha Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Mine LOVE brussel sprouts in the winter- the whole plant. I plant lots and then when I'm done getting what I want I just leave the plants until winter hits and everyday toss a plant or two into the pen for them. Well, that's what I did last year (and the year before)- this year they don't get none cuz they managed to get into the garden and decided to dustbathe to the point of killing most of the cole crops.

10. xyresicchick

xyresicchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Providence, RI
    any brassicas do very well til late in the winter before it starts warming up. this means kale, brussel sprouts, cabbages, broccoli, cauliflower, and radishes. and my chickens just LOVE kale.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by