Fall Gardeners

bantamboy93

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 22, 2011
Hi folks. Just wanted to see all of you gardeners that are about to plant your fall garden. Or depending on your area, you may have already planted. It's still a little warm down here in South Mississippi. There are still high 80's predicted on the forecast. But I've got my seeds and i've been working on my ground. I just need one last till through it to soften it up real good before I plant. Waiting for the Full Moon to plant. I'm planting Turnips, Radishes, Mustards and Collards. 3 different types of radishes. Just cuz i enjoy planting them. Plus I heard they keep bugs away, which is always a major nuisance to my mustard greens. I'll try and post pics as soon as I can of my garden and it's progress. Would love to hear from y'all as well. What you're planting, pics of your garden progress as well as any tips and tricks you've learned over the years that you'd like to share with the younger generation.
smile.png

I am working on a green house (pvc) right now

And our winter garden area is almost ready to plant

Next weekend is the local botanical garden fall plant sale

I live in east central Oklahoma, and my fall garden has been in for a little while. This is my first one so
fl.gif
this has been a horrible garden year so hopefully the fall garden will work out.

Well being that you're in OK and i'm in MS, i would think you'd have a different climate so this might not apply. But usually i plant just mustards. and the bugs get after them on those 'springy' winter days. I've heard that planting Radishes in amongst your mustards helps a lot. Not sure if you're planting mustards. But i'm sure it'd keep the bugs from any thing. Might want to give it a try. Kind of like planting marigolds in the spring in your garden.

I planted spinach mustard that lived and grew all through the heat and drought and is still thriving, and the hoppers have been eating it (fine w/ me since I don't like it) but they haven't touched anything else in the garden. When I planted it I didn't know I wouldn't like it. It never bolted even after 2+ months over 100 degrees, it is an awsome green I will plant again for the chickens and as green living mulch.

I'd planned on planting a fall garden this year but our summer was so horrible (terribly hot and dry) and it was still that miserable in August when I should have started on fall planting that I just didn't even bother with it this year.

I will be planting 5 pounds of garlic and sowing some lettuce, mesclun mix and radishes though as we love fresh salads in the dead of winter.
cool.png
They'll be covered with a pvc hoop house and plastic once the serious cold gets here.

I'll post pix of last winter's "salad house" as soon as I find them.
wink.png

My dad and i just planted beets,collards,carrots and turnups plan on planting mustards and mescluin mix(salad mix) I live in northeast FL but i do it ever year at this time and have plenty of greens, been taking them to the family thankgiving. never really have a problem with pests unless i grow cabbage. my spring garden had a problem to with the heat. all but the yellow squash,tomatoes and okra.don't forget to use your composed chicken poo to enrich the soil. i don't ever have to fertilize because i use horse,goat manure,chicken manure composed and have a worm bed so i have plenty of Black Gold laying about. grandma always said eat you vegtables now i grow them. enjoy your gardens everyone.
smile.png

I'm up in the Pacific Northwest where growing greens is a nearly year-round kinda thing, but honestly - My "fall garden" this year is in a big new greenhouse of mine.

I just started some more corn, beans, squash, and watermelons as well as some jelly-melons after my last "crop" of beans and melons went a month ago, so that's a fall thing. . . I'm still getting tomatoes, still waiting on my Bananas as they continue growing, and my peppers are starting to die off from the lack of sunlight and sudden growth of mold in the greenhouse, so, I'm dealing with that issue. Probably going to start over with the peppers. My tomatillos and ground cherries are doing well, still growing and producing, . . .

Outside I tried starting a fall crop of Mesclun Mix, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Mustard, Kale, Chard, Bok Choy, and several varieties of lettuce, but a sudden storm came through here at over 80 mph winds and hammering rain, and, all the starts got "hammered."
sad.png
There's so little left now, but, I've still got some Korean Licourice Mint from my summer planting as well as some Chard growing. . .

But, I'm not giving up on the greens yet!

Well I tilled my garden again yesterday evening. Got it nice and soft and then i raked it out. I'm afraid to plant on the dark of the moon though. Old traditions and such. Lol.

Can anyone weigh in on this please? I'd love to be able to plant this evening since the soil is fresh and i'm planting all seeds so i need good soft soil for them. But i'm afraid that if I plant now, it won't come up good. I always heard to plant on the full moon.

Back
Top Bottom