Fall - how much ventilation is good?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by True Grit, Sep 7, 2010.

1. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, you can see my coop on my page. Since it is supposed to get down to 42 deg tonight we put our insert back up into the front of the coop which gave 3x2 ft of ventilation at least during the summer and tonight I left open the two slot vents which are about 4x24". I kept the window closed. Do you think that is enough ventilation for 6 15 wk old pullets at 42 degrees? In the morning I will open the pop door and window and hoping that is enough ventilation for the during the day when it is about 65 deg. Do you think that is ok? Thanks!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    We had temps in the 40's the last few nights too and I buttoned up the barn pretty tight, but my 20 week old chickens seem to love the cool weather. They are up and out early and ranging far and wide at first light.

4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yes I would say that what you are doing is just fine.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:[​IMG] I agree!

6. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks everybody and I do appreciate Pats Ventilation page - one reason we went with the removable insert in the front of the coop. I think one thing I will do is clean out the litter more often. I don't think I know enough about the deep litter method and shavings are cheap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by