fall of peacock Tshape feather early !??

peacock2000

Hatching
Mar 18, 2015
hello every body
today my peacock male(cameo) drops around 10 T shape tail feathers is that normal ??? now we are in march !!!
any idea I need help...... is that mean he lost his fertility

Last edited:
Last year something happened to my peacock and his "T shaped feathers" AKA Butterfly or V shape feathers came out - I think they got caught on something maybe because they were pulled out and he re-grew them very quickly after losing them and they were fully re-grown before the breeding season ended.

Check the quill end of the feather to see if there is blood or skin tissue. If there is then his feathers were not shed naturally and he should still be breeding. This time of year the train feathers should still have blood and tissue in the quill. Is there anything he could snag his feathers on?

If you are not in the US and summer time is about over then your peacock should be losing his train feathers.

I talked to him today, he is living here in Kuwait, which means our breeding season still in the beginning too, he said his peacock is dropping almost 10 feathers daily, i don't think his peacock feathers got caught on something.

Minx, how many tail feathers did you peacock lost last year?

Wow dropping them daily!? Does he have a light on in, or very close, to their pen? Sometimes I think that has caused peacocks to lose their trains early.

Alto lost almost half of his long butterfly feathers last year. I found them all under the roost so I wasn't sure if they somehow got caught on the roost or if some critter tried to get at him. I could tell they were not naturally shed because the ends were squishy and had blood and skin tissue inside. I wasn't sure if they would re-grow during the breeding season but they did. I collected the feathers and cut the quill end off of them and fed the cuttings to the dog.

Last edited:
Wow dropping them daily!? Does he have a light on in, or very close, to their pen? Sometimes I think that has caused peacocks to lose their trains early.

Alto lost almost half of his long butterfly feathers last year. I found them all under the roost so I wasn't sure if they somehow got caught on the roost or if some critter tried to get at him. I could tell they were not naturally shed because the ends were squishy and had blood and skin tissue inside. I wasn't sure if they would re-grow during the breeding season but they did. I collected the feathers and cut the quill end off of them and fed the cuttings to the dog.
Yes, he said daily, i will ask him tomorrow about the lights, he also has 3 adult birds which are acting normally and their trains are fine. I hope his problem will get solved like yours, i had a friend which his peacock lost all his train feathers in March few years ago, so this male didn't produce any offspring that summer.

yes the end full with blood and skin tissue ,the peacock stopped now but he still calm not eating well !
he lost around 10 in the first day .
second day most of T shape around 20 or more .third day he stopped
age 4 years

they got newcastle vaccine 7 days ago by watter

Last edited:
yes the end full with blood and skin tissue ,the peacock stopped now but he still calm not eating well !
he lost around 10 in the first day .
second day most of T shape around 20 or more .third day he stopped
age 4 years

they got newcastle vaccine 7 days ago by watter

They got caught on something. If it were a medical problem they would not have blood and skin tissue. He probably got them caught and in his struggle to get loose he yanked them hard, but not all the way loose. Over the next few days they fell out because they were too loose to continue growing. I have had this happen before, and a week passed before they fell off. He should be fine and his fertility should be fine.

no not calling he look calm ,
by the way I checked today to see if there is any source of light , then I noticed that I got new neighbour 6 day ago who hired the yard next to me and they start using flash light !!! which make my yard luminous all the night like day time and all my peacocks awake and active during night . so I have to make high barrier to stop that light .and see what happen

Back
Top Bottom