Fall Peafowl Family Pictures

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by MinxFox, Oct 29, 2011.

1. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I didn't include the peachicks I am raising in this photoshoot, just the peafowl in the big aviary. Today was very windy.

I also have some photos for Clinton so he can see how long Alto's train is. Alto didn't display at all today but my mom said she saw him displaying yesterday.

Here is Alto, he still hasn't grown back his feathers from where the raccoon bit him. I wonder if he will ever grow back feathers there? Well I love him all the same.
    [​IMG]

He is getting his first real train now, and I noticed that even his wing colors are getting more vibrant.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

His spurs are no longer rounded on the ends.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He started preening so I got photos of that. The alpha peacock that was killed by raccoons that lived in this pen was weird about me watching him preen. Maybe he didn't trust me. Alto doesn't care if I watch him or even take pictures of him.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Damsel is adjusting to her new ranking. I hate it that she is now the lowest ranking bird. Since the lowest ranking bird, a peahen, was killed by raccoons everyone in the pen has had to re-establish themselves. Damsel is now bossed around and doesn't have a higher ranking than anyone.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got a lot of pictures of my blackshoulder peahen Ice and "her" peachicks. Really I think these chicks are from Damsel but Ice incubated the eggs because one is pied, one is white, and one is dark pied.
    I took a lot of pictures of the white peachick because it was so photogenic:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the pied peachick, it is a male. He is pretty adventurous.
    [​IMG]

The pied male and the dark pied female together. Since peachicks they stayed pretty close, and I think they still are. The white is normally with Ice, but these two chicks are always walking away from Ice to explore and catch bugs.
    [​IMG]

Here is their mommy:
    [​IMG]

Ice lay down with the peachicks in a nice sunny spot and they spent some nice time together without any interruption from the other birds. (The dark pied was behind Ice.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  2. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    thanks for sharing the pictures [​IMG]

3. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Your welcome and I love your new avatar!

4. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Those are beautiful pics -- your talent as a photographer is growing ever stronger -- please keep it up -- you are doing an wonderful job of capturing the beauty & spirit of your outstanding subjects!

5. clinton9

clinton9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Hi Alea,
    Thankyou very much for thought about me and for putted the photoes of Alto and peachicks & Ice. I am happy. [​IMG]
    I noticed the growing outermost primaries 9th-10th were still growing and I think Alto still have 30-40 more days of growing primaries 10th, in last stage of wing moult.
    By 23th December this year he will be in NONmoulting plumage until April 2012.
    I still had not finished colouring the wild IB peafowl yet.

I am still studying the 11+ races of green peafowls, you are welcome to look in "Dragonbird" page, by Resolution.
    I had putted the flying Siamese imperator green peacock (pavo imperator siamensis) on page of "Dragonbird"
    The first bird had wrong colour on primaries, while the second bird had correct colour on primaries.

See me & Resolution in "Dragonbird" pages

Clinton.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  6. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Beautiful pictures, I love the way Ice is looking at the chick in the last picture! I wish I could have a beautiful aviary like yours, it looks so lush. Thank you for sharing!

7. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Thanks Clinton.[​IMG]

Thanks Frosty, well that portion of the pen is the lushest. Those plants you are seeing behind Ice and the chicks are Cast iron plants. I love them they are really hardy and you might be able to grow them. They can survive even in snow, or at least from what I have seen in Alabama where there was a big clump of them and it snowed and they are still there.[​IMG]

8. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

wow Thanks for sharing the pictures [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    That last photo stole my heart! [​IMG]

10. Fowler Hencock

Fowler Hencock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Excellent pictures! Thanks for sharing!