Fall planting for the run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jerseycoop, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hi, just wondering if anyone plants certain trees/ shrubs to give a wind break for the run in the fall/winter and if so what did you plant? Thanks for any suggestions

2. PHILMAN

PHILMAN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    Hey that sounds like a good idea! I think I will do that too . I dont know what to plant either. I guess you would want something that is thick .
    But there arent any bushes that will stay green through the winter except a sorta pine .
    By the way Im from New Jersey too . South Plainfield .

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  3. AmyQ

AmyQ Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2011
    jerseycoop - i'm in manalapan too! small world! we haven't planted anything yet since we're only about 2 weeks into this adventure, but that's a great idea - i think i might just do that!

4. Jerseycoop

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    I've got that fuzzy feeling..so great to meet others from NJ! Nice to meet you both [​IMG] I was looking at LeLand Cypruss. They grow a foot a year. I was hoping to provide a warmer run against old man winter's wind and snow.

5. PHILMAN

PHILMAN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    Sounds good Jersey coop but is safe for the chickens to eat that ? I know mine will in a heartbeat . But if its ok that looks like a tree to plant .

6. Jerseycoop

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Great point..I haven't read that it's toxic to children or animals but will look into it more...thanks for bringing that up [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by