Falling down and getting trampled! :( ***CURE****

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by starforever61, Dec 28, 2010.

1. starforever61

starforever61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    My 2 and a half year old isa brown fell down yesterday, and I didn't really pay much attention, just helped her up. But today, I came out and she kept falling down and getting trampled by her sisters! [​IMG] When she was up, she stayed off of her right leg. I looked at it, it's just a little red with the cold (as all of them are). So I gave her a warm bath and now she's wrapped up in a towel... what do you all suggest I do now? I'll post pics if necessary.

*** She had bad balance, no real injuries, because of something in her ear. Read on for more details.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I would put her somewhere warm and try to keep her separated for a while until you find out what it is that's making her act like that.
    I went out to feed my chickens today and seen my sumatra hen hanging off a cage by her toe! I had to hurry and get her but when I put her down she walked away and acted normal. Im glad I found her before she broke her toe. I hope your chicken gets well soon .

3. starforever61

Aug 1, 2009
    Now she's getting irritated cuz she wants to go back and join the flock! [​IMG]

4. starforever61

Aug 1, 2009
    Yeah she can't stand, she literally falls back on her butt, then on her side. She slept on her side all night and there's poop on her! [​IMG] Is it an injury or is it just in her head??

5. starforever61

Aug 1, 2009
    hmm i really don't have a great place to keep her...

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I wouldn't put her back with the flock when they know ones down they can be ruthless. At her age you might want to look up Lymphoid Leukosis not saying thats it. She could just need a few days of TLC. do you have poultry drench or poly vi so w/o iron?

7. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I had the same thing happen to one of my Bantams, I brought him in the house and put him in a cat carrier, I think he just tweaked his leg or something, because after 3 days he was back to normal and back with the flock! I just made sure to keep food and water in front of him and kept him clean. Hope it's nothing more than that for you!

8. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    You really do need to keep her separated at this point until she is able to walk or you know what is causing the leg issue. It could be a number of illnesses, some contagious. Could be Marek's, and i've heard that if they eat something that is moldy it can cause similar symptoms.

So, number one, keep her away from the flock, perhaps in a cat carrier. If you have a heat lamp, put that on one side of the carrier so she can stay warm. Water, food, perhaps hard boiled eggs, some vitamins like Avia Charge 2000, Polyvisol without iron, or another chicken type vitamin you can add to the water. You need to watch her for a few days to see if she develops any additional symptoms or gets worse. You also need to keep an eye on your flock and make sure no one else develops symptoms. Could be she tweaked her leg and it will heal over time. Could she have gotten into any moldy food?

9. starforever61

Aug 1, 2009
    CURE! We took her to the farm, we know what's wrong. Consider this if your chicken is ever unable to stand and loses its balance. In basic terms, there's something stuck in their ear. It'll be hard for them to eat and drink with other flock members runnin em over. BUT, it will go away on its own over time, ear drops work well, as do blow driers. If the chicken is falling to the left, the water/liquid/crap is in their right ear and vice versa. I hope this helps someone in the future! [​IMG]

10. starforever61

Aug 1, 2009
    Quote:Yup, you had the same thing happen! Something in their ear made em lose their balance. It's just like swimmers ear, but harder for them to get rid of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by