falling feathers

Discussion in 'Quail' started by abobwhat, Aug 6, 2011.

1. abobwhat

abobwhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    SoCal
    Hey everyone my coturnix are loosing feathers off their lower backs i noticed it with one but now I am seeing more and more feathers on the ground and others are loosing feathers. I have two identical hutches with 15 birds in a 4' by 7' by 2' high. I dont think its feather picking maybe a flea or something. i only have one male in one and two in the other. the birds are a little over 8 weeks old so........

Any ideas....? What it might be? how to stop the loss?

Thanks for the help. I will try and get some pictures soon.

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    THEY'RE MOLTING IC THEY LOOSE FEATHERS ALL OVER... OTHERWISE I'D SAY ANY EGGS YOU GET ARE LIKELY FERTILE AS GRASS DOESNT GROW A WELL USED PATH [​IMG]

3. abobwhat

Mar 30, 2011
    SoCal
    weird. do all birds do this the same time of year or just whenever

4. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well. It matters on their diet... IF one prob does it in a flock of birds, Others will soon follow.

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    we are losing natural daylight here even with lights on mine moult this time of the year

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I would check them for mites. It could be breeding but could be a parasite problem as well.

7. abobwhat

Mar 30, 2011
    SoCal
    So i checked for mites and did an experiment by segregating one by its self and the feathers grow back. so...
    I have no males so it must be pecking. They have over 2sq feet a per bird so i guess i would have to bit them.

I just got a new job and will be traveling and wont have enough time for them.
    If there is anyone out there in the Southern California area that wants
    some free birds or give me what you can for them i would be willing to give them to a good home.

PM me if you are interested I also have some 50lb bags of feed i would get rid of for cheap.

Thanx again!

8. Quail_Cottage

Quail_Cottage Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2010
    SF Peninsula
    I'm in NorCal and most of mine did a moult over the past few weeks. I have them outside in a colony setup and there were feathers all over for about 3 weeks, they look really lovely when all the new feathers grow back. If you want a chuckle take a look at the chicken forum, they've been posti9ng worst moult pictures over there. some of then look ready for the roasting pan all by themselves! My quail just look really ragged for a bit, then like new again. Sure makes cleaning the cage more work though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by