Falling over chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dsfrango, Jan 3, 2015.

1. dsfrango

dsfrango Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Hello, I have a young Sumatra roo that is acting very strange on occasion. About 2 months ago was the first time I saw him do it. he kind of wiggles and falls over and just lays there for a couple minutes and then hops up and walks around like nothing ever happened. I didn't notice him doing it for sometime and now in the last 2 weeks I have seen him do it quite a few times. Very strange behavior. Does anyone know what could be wring with him? Thanks in advance!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He could be having a type of seizure, but it definitely sounds like something neurological. Quite a few people have posted about epileptic chickens.

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Scoliosis (kinky back) is not uncommon in chickens. Inbreeding is often blamed for it's occurance. It is genetic and nerves are compromised by bone structure, and as chicks grow they can become lame, fall over on their backs, and have seizure type symptoms. There is also a gram positive bacteria, Enterococcus cecorum, which can cause identical problems, and not just in broiler flocks:
    http://wattagnet.net/Spinal_abscesses_hit_US_broiler_flocks.html

4. dsfrango

dsfrango Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Thanks for the input guys, I'll prob cull him. I don't want to breed that down to any offspring. He's a tad smaller than his brothers so another reason to cull him.

Thanks!

5. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    You're welcome, although I wish it could have remedied the problem somehow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by