"Fallow coop" OK for occasional foraging?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MaggiesOrganic, Jul 29, 2014.

1. MaggiesOrganic

MaggiesOrganic Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2013
    Hi there! Hope all the chickens are well tonight!

We are in the process of building a new coop area. I know that once the chickens transition to their new coop the old coop will be ripe with growth... Our plan is to let the coop lay fallow for a year and then transition the flock back over. But I feel like my girls will be missing out on some great foraging if I cut their access off altogether.

Is it unwise to let the girls forage in the fallow coop (which I know will be full of yummy stuff!) maybe once a week or so?

Thoughts, ideas or experiences would be greatly appreciated!!

2. MaggiesOrganic

Jun 18, 2013
    P.S.
    The coop size is about 500 square feet.
    I have 2 chicks, 1 "teenager" 7 hens and 1 rooster...
    THANKS!

3. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

At 500 sq. feet that is a big building for sure. I would love to have something that large. If I understand your query correctly, it would be fine to let the birds back into a place they have been previously. From where I am, the only problem I foresee with this is that the birds may wish to stay in their old place. Roosting there instead of the 'new' place, so you may have to herd them back for a while to get them to 'stay' where you want them to spend the night.

There is no reason of which I am aware, not to let the chickens have at all the bugs and things that they can find. The birds will enjoy this… and thus so will you. Homing the birds to a new place, can try ones patients and such, but they will get it in time.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

4. MaggiesOrganic

Jun 18, 2013
    Thanks RJSorensen! I wish my henhouse was 500 square feet, that is the coop area that is fenced on all sides and on top... It is bigger than my first apartment for sure!! :) The henhouse itself is only about 16 square feet :(

I think you are right, should be ok to let them into their old coop area once in a while.

THANKS!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by