1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

False alarms?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RM44, Jun 25, 2010.

1. RM44

RM44 Songster

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Do your chickens have false alarms when it comes to laying? On a few occasions I catch a hen in the nestbox, and I go back out after she's "done" and there's no egg. It hasn't happened often, but the "false alarm" today was one of my only 2 green egg layers, so I know for a fact she didn't lay after getting in and sitting in the box for a while. I've also seen a few other chickens do it on occasion. Is it normal?

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Songster

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Normal or not, mine do it too! So at the very least, I guess it's nothing to worry about. I think they just get a kick out of watching us run back and forth to look. [​IMG]

3. I have seen that too, upon occasion.

Sometimes a hen will be in the nest box, but jump on out when I come in with a treat for the birds. Maybe something distracted her before the laid? Did she come back and lay later?

4. Ms.FuzzyButts :

Normal or not, mine do it too! So at the very least, I guess it's nothing to worry about. I think they just get a kick out of watching us run back and forth to look. [​IMG]

LOL. Chickens do love us entertaining humans!​

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress 9 Years

Ms.FuzzyButts :

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing 9 Years

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Happens to me too. I suspect they like to tease us and come back and lay the egg in another nest to confuse us. I swear I heard the hens giggling when I left the coop empty handed once.

7. RM44

RM44 Songster

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Thank you all. I'm glad I'm not the only crazy chicken person who goes out five million times a day to check for eggs only to come back empty handed. Does it ever get old?

And yes, mine will hop out of the nest box if I have treats or fill up the feeder while they are in the box. I try to give them privacy try not to feed or treat if anyone is in the box, but with 11 hens, someone's almost always in one of the boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: