!!!False Pregnancy in Dogs Question!!!

The Wolf Queen

Songster
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I have a daschund b*tch that I originally thought got accidently prego by mixing with my stud dog. The funny thing is that her sister, who my friend bought, also went into heat and got pregnant at the same time. Well about 3 weeks before possible due date nothing had changed except for my dog bagging up and her sister was already huge so we thought that my dogs pregnancy was false and her teats started to receed, not sure if thats the best word to use, but anyways I looked at her today, and she has started bagging up again and is actually producing milk. My question is whether a b*tch will start to produce milk even if the pregnancy is false. Can anyone answer my question? Also she should have been due around Tuesday of this week if she is pregant and the past few days she has been acting sort of off. She has been semi dehydrated, not as active, and has puked a few times. Also this morning she has been under my bed in the far corner occasionally scratching up the carpet (nest digging?). Should I get the whelping box ready?

Our little Shih-tzu mix got heavy and started lactating, yeah, when the lactating began I got worried that maybe it was a real pregnancy, but nope, the vet said not to worry about it, it would go away by itself and it did.

Just thought of something be sure to feel her teats everyday though and make sure they are not getting hot or hard if so a warm comress and few time a day will help.. you dont want her getting mastitus from the milk just sitting in there....

OK but as an update I took her temp and both theremometers read 98.7 and I know a gal that breeds chihuahuas and she says that they will whelp within 24 hours if their temp is below 100. Any input on that?
ETA: Her teats are actually dripping so at the moment I dont think that is a problem.

Last edited:
every dog I have heard of that has had a false one dripped milk everywhere for a while. or she could be only have 1 or 2 babies instad of a huge litter.

Being as she was exposed to a male, and her temp is down I suspect she is in early labor, or I would treat it that way, and get thing ready just in case.

If you don't see pups in 24 hours then she should see a vet immediately. She could have dead fetuses, an infection or something else going on. It sounds like she's sick. Even if she is giving birth she shouldn't be doing so while dehydrated.

I'd recommend x-rays and a vet check to confirm a pregnancy in the future so you know whether a dog is sick or in labor. Also then you know how many puppies to watch for and when to get worried.

We've had dogs go into false pregnancies and lactate, but never had a temperature block. Can you try to listen for heartbeats or feel for pups? After the holiday tomorrow I would definitely take her to the vet.

So is she welping yet???????

pop.gif
pop.gif
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom