1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

FAMACHA Clinin in East Tennessee

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by HappyVol, Apr 3, 2009.

1. FourSnyders

FourSnyders Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    What are Famachas? Are they a cross between Lamachas and something else?

The Snyders

2. HappyVol

HappyVol Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2007
    FAMACHA is a method of deciding who may need worming. It is not a replacement for fecal checks, more of a aid to the producer.

3. Thunderhill

Thunderhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    North Alabama
    The thing is....FAMACHA method teaches to check the paleness of the eyelids before worming. To me, pale eyelids are a sign of anemia, beit a slight case or not.
    I prefer to worm on a schedule and prevent even the slightest anemia at all. We still check fecals and such and will be learning to do this ourselves. I guess its just a matter of personal preference and what works best for each individual

4. HappyVol

Oct 28, 2007
    The experts at all the Vet. Hospi9tals are saying that worming on Schedule whether the goat needs it or not is what is causing super worms. That is why safeguard no longer works and several others are on the verge of not protecting our animals against the barberpole worm, which is a blood sucker, which causes anemia.

No, FAMACHA is not a cure all but if one learns the proper way of using it along with fecals, it will save worming a doe who has bright bright pink eye lids. That is my personal preference.

Thunderhill, this is Rockytopsis by the way. I could not use the name here for some reason or other. The clinic will be conducted by a Vet. from the University of Tennessee and my own local vet will be here to answer questions.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    whats the best thing to worm goats with?

6. Thunderhill

Thunderhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    North Alabama
    I understand why people use it. I check my goats fecals before worming...that tells me the most. It's just a matter of what method works best for you. I hate to see pale eylids. Doing Fecals can tell me when I have/getting any kind of worming problem. I rotate between 4 wormers so that my goats don't build a resistance.
    Works best here in the hot humid South for us..[​IMG]

7. HappyVol

Oct 28, 2007
    Quote:I would check with other goat owners in your area to see what works for them. I use Cydectin here with good success using the FAMACHA method.

I don't have a microscope and with 20-25 goats on the farm year round, I cant afford for a Vet to do the fecals every 3-4 months. Right now we have 43 animals, (counting kids) wit 2 more does due soon.

8. firefighter9208

firefighter9208 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2008
    Springville, Alabama
    Quote:The goats don't build a resistance. The worms do. If you talk to the vets at any of the universities (Alabama A&M, Tennesse State University) that do Goat research they will tell you to stick with one wormer until it quits working and then rotate to another wormer. Using a rotation (according to the experts) will one day cause the worms to build up a resistance to all the wormers at one time.

I have been to a FAMANCHA workshop and have cut my worming cost and problems by 75%. Along with FAMANCHA they teach proper techniques for doing fecals and using a microscope to detech the different types of worms.

Another aspect to consider is culling. One of the Veterinarians at the FAMANCHA workshop stated that usually 10% of your goats would shed 90% of the worm eggs. I now religiously cull any goat that I "have" to worm more than 4 times in a year.

Another thing to consider in a complete worming program is the addition of AU GRAZER (serecia lespedeza) to your hay feeding regimend. I found a local producer with square bales this past summer. I have also found one producer that bales it in large rounds that I plan to buy for this winter. The Tanins in the lespedeza have proven (through research at the above mentioned universities) to reduce the instances of worms in goats. My goats will run over you and stand on top of a bale of bermuda hay to get to a bale of serecia lespedeza.

here are a couple links:::
    http://www.aces.edu/department/forages/ForageAUGrazer03.htm . http://www.simsbrothers.com/index.htm

Chris

9. Goattalker

Goattalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Rockytops, did you sign up for the fecal class on the other board? It is your first line of defense, eyelids are the second best, but better than nothing. When you check them, you really don't know what you need to treat for, shock will give you pale eye lids, cocci will and worms. The treatments are TOTALLY different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by