FAMACHA

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Nathan Sampson, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Nathan Sampson

Nathan Sampson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Whitewater Mo
    Is there anyone here who has had the FAMACHA course and if so what all is it involve and how long is it?

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Was just looking for FAMACHA on BYC. I realize that this is an old post but will reply anyway. I participated in the FAMACHA certification a while back. It was a course that lasted several hours. We did the course study in the classroom at the Agriculture University and then we went to the lab and we did fecal analysis. They had about 10 high tech microscopes set up with all of the accessories that we needed. They had fresh poop there for us to handle, with gloves on of course. They showed us step by step how to collect the poop, tools to use during the process, putting the poop in the instruments, etc, etc, etc. Then they showed us how to put the poop on the slides and how to place it on the microscope. They showed us how to use the microscope and how to adjust it. Then they showed us what to look for and what parasites look like. They gave us a chart to use to determine what parasite we are looking at. It was as EXCELLENT course that a local AG University held. I would suggest that everyone who has small ruminants try to attend a FAMACHA training if possible. At the end of the class, they gave us our FAMACHA certification paperwork.

Now all of this is good and dandy but if you don't have a microscope and the accessories to do this, then that's not good. I was lucky enough to get a "professional" microscope a few years back. It's the kinda that is used at our well known vet schools in Louisiana. So, I was VERY lucky to score that from a lady who was giving it away. She just happened to be a "Lab Scientist".

3. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I would love to one-day take the FAMACHA course!
    I do not have a microscope, but if I took the course, I would probably look into finding a good microscope.
    Thanx for this info on the course!
    [​IMG]

4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

You are welcome.

When I saw the AG University advertising this certification, I knew that I had to sign up for the certification. Although it was an hour's drive away, it was well worth it.

Believe it or not, I found my microscope on Craigslist. I placed an ad about 3 years ago but I didn't think that I would find a microscope. Well, I was wrong. I had 2 people that replied to my ad and one of them happened to be a former Lab Scientist for a well known Medical School who had retired.

I was amazed at what poop looks like under a microscope. It was exciting to see what parasites looked like right in front of me.

Here is a link that has some good info. This presentation is the closest that I have seen that is similar to what we learned in our class.

http://www.jackmauldin.com/FAMACHA_Postels.pdf

5. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    For goats? Isn't the famancha where you check the eyelids?

6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Yes
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by