Familes and chickens

NHN

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Do any of you have families that just ridicule you for having chickens? Or make fun of you becasue you cannot easily leave town? I don't have people who can look after my hens and leaving them all night means not being able to lock them up.

I get so tired of trying to defend myself to people for having chickens

My husband and kids make fun of me, but not in a really mean way. I like to think of the epithet "Crazy Chicken Woman" as a pet name. My parents think I'm slightly nuts, but they thought that long before I got chickens.

I am blessed with a family that is jealous of what we have here...chickens, goats, horses etc.

I am sorry that your family doesnt support your life style. They are missing out on alot!!

hugs.gif

I recently posted a topic about this...recently moved so I could have some land...and of course chickens! Most of my "friends" from suburbia were not very supportive to say the least!
tongue.gif

Luckily there are many chicken lovers out there...you just have to find them!

It's always an issue if we have family gatherings and I have to go home at night.
sad.png

Lock them in early ,sure they won't be happy but once in awhile you have to have a socia life... Or do what we did and make a small run attached to the coop that is predator proof. Then keep them in that when you are going somewhere. It's much cheaper and easier to build something small , mine opens out into a larger non predator proof run for when I'm home. My small run is made out of 2x4's so I only had to cut the wood for the shorter end and I also put a roof on it, so in bad weather they can still go out.
It's worked great for us, I even sometimes go away for a weekend and leave them with a huge feeder and waterer and have had no issues.

There are ways to get around it...don't let your chickens keep you a prisoner... they should be enjoyable..

i DO! my mil grew up in this town and when my dh was 4yo, she'd had enuf of country life and moved away with dh. well she 1 can't understand WHy we live here (the whole entire fathers side lives here, seriously it ll be hard for my kids to date, lol) and we appreciate that family is so close, and 2 we LIKE it. so when she ofund out i got chickens, it was chickens???? youre not that far from the store are you? but let me say SHE lives in freakin Burma!!!! yeah that country that got hit by a hugantic typhoon and wouldnt let any aide in... There! the one that keeps their democratically elected ruler under house arrest and is ruled by a military junta. ugh! i told dh when she finally comes back to the states i m gonna sell her (and only her) my "organically raised pastured chicken eggs" for $4/dz. JUST to show her a GOOD reason to raise chickens... but the in laws that live in this town only question why i also run home to lock up the girls at dark... we're there all day, i cant just coop them up all day.

Sorry. I don't have that problem because half the nieghborhood has chickens. And my nearest nieghbor (who has 50 chickens) is more than willing to take care of my chickens when I'm gone. And visa versa. Sorry.
sad.png

Have family not eat at your house because you raise all your own meat. I make all my own relishes ketchup pickles everything. Most of my family won't eat here because of that. They said I'm too backwoods and it is gross.

There is a market for farm sitters. We stay because it is so difficult to find someone to watch everything. One of our daughters and son-in-law did it once for 5 days and won't do it again. Our extended family sometimes laughes but they all want eggs.

Back
Top Bottom