Family Abbreviations...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Poulets De Cajun, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Why do people use abbreviations instead of just typing it out? And who ever started the "D" thing... you know putting "D" in front of everything?

DH
    DW
    DS
    DD
    DSS
    DSD
    DGS
    DGD
    DSIL
    DDIL
    DA
    DU
    DGM
    DGD
    DMM
    DN

Its like trying to decipher hieroglyphics....

2. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    my guesses based on insight and deductive reasoning. Idk, to me it's easier to say "mom" or "dad" or "my boyfriend nick"
    just a fad? some web-based lingo for people who like to use this forum?

DH - Dear Husband
    DW - Dear wife
    DS - dear son
    DD - dear daughter
    DSS - dear sweet sister?
    DSD - dear sweet daughter?
    DGS - ??
    DGD - ?????
    DSIL - ?
    DDIL - ┬┐
    DA - dear aunt
    DU - dear uncle
    DGM - dear grand mother
    DGD - dear grand father
    DMM - ?
    DN - dear nephew/niece???

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  3. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    DSS - step sister
    DGS - grandson
    DDIL - daughter in law
    DSIL - sister in law

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know either but it is possibly part of the texting generation that has left me behind. It mainly shows my age and a lack of intellectual curiosity about this on my part. Almost all the time, I find that this is not at all critical to understanding the post and just cruise over it. Does it really make a difference to understanding if someone is talking about a husband, boyfriend, significant other, or someone called Charlie, George, or Fred.

Just my uneducated opinion.

And my guesses

DGS - ?? Grandson
    DGD - ????? Granddaughter
    DSIL - ? Son-in-law
    DDIL - ┬┐Daughtet-in-law
    DMM - ? Not a clue

5. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Quote:See, I thought
    DSS= dear step son
    DSIL= dear son in law

6. ChevygirlBeth

ChevygirlBeth Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought all the abbreviations were weird at first, too. I never saw any of them until I joined a couple of different forums this past year. I held out for a while, but eventually I started using them sometimes, too.

7. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    Yes it is carry over from texting.
    D= darling
    I think in another generation or two the english language as we know it will be dead and we will be using all abbreviations. Ever look at your medical record....it is all abbreviated as well.

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It started before texting was available, before the world wide web, when it was just the internet. Not many people were on the internet and you had to pay for every minute you were connected. People didn't sit around online. They uploaded and downloaded messages. Because every minute you were on cost money, people abbreviated a lot of things. It saved money.

These abbreviations have hung around, even though they aren't needed. They're an old habit, like a lot of the words we still use, that were based on things that are gone. They came in handy again when texting started and even more were added. I'm sure that just reinforced the usage.

Now I'm remembering my friend's mobile phone, that was the size of a small suitcase! [​IMG]

9. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Hey man... if you had the suitcase phone, you were THE STUFF! Remember the 'brick' phone in subsequent years. Thos gray Motorola phones that looked like you were holding a cinder block to your ear? We still have one of those in a junk drawer somewhere.

10. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Quote:Hey man... if you had the suitcase phone, you were THE STUFF! Remember the 'brick' phone in subsequent years. Thos gray Motorola phones that looked like you were holding a cinder block to your ear? We still have one of those in a junk drawer somewhere.

Me too! Remember you could talk for about 3 minutes then your ear was on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by