Family Breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by fuzzy5chicks, Aug 22, 2013.

1. fuzzy5chicks

fuzzy5chicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    MI
    I am going to be getting 6 chicks this October. They are all different breeds that should be able to stand the winter (the average low during our coldest month is 14 F). They are all supposed to be very friendly. Laying isn't a huge concern for me, but I know that I'm getting a few good layers and a few not so good layers. Anyway, being able to stand the winter and having a friendly personality are my main concerns. The breeds that I am getting are: Black Australorp, Buff Orpington, Dominique, Easter Egger, Salmon Faverolles, and White Cochin. I've already looked at the breeds section in BYC. If you have any experience with these breeds I would appreciate hearing your opinion!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Out of the breeds your getting, I've only had Easter Eggers. My Easter Egger is sweet, gentle, inquisitive, and a pretty good egg layer (six eggs a week in the summer, four in the winter). She is a good flyer for a large fowl chicken, and has beautiful coloring. And, of course, she lays beautiful green eggs. One drawback to the Easter Egger is that they are often low in the pecking order, and get picked on by the other chickens. I've also heard that they can be skitish, but mine certainly isn't. She loves people, though not as much as my Wyandotte. You'll certainly enjoy your Easter Egger!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by