family cat....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by peepmeister, Feb 17, 2012.

1. peepmeister

peepmeister New Egg

Feb 17, 2012
    We're thinkin of raisin a few chickens in the back yard.......would a domestic cat leave mature chickens alone as they roam the yard or should I leave'em penned up all the time. Just one of the things I gotta work out before I build the coop. Thanks!

2. angusshangus

angusshangus Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Verona, NJ
    My bantam sized hens used to remain free all day long until a neighbors cat made a meal out of one of them. Now they live in their predator proof run unless I'm out there with them.

3. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

A few years ago I had a feral cat kill a white leghorn hen but my cats do not bother my silkies. I have seen the roosters chase the cats! [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It varies. As a rule, cats will leave mature chickens alone but kill chicks. However, some people do have problems with cats killing their chickens -- usually feral cats.

I think it depends some on the personality of the cat. My chickens are in a fenced yard. My cat watches and crouches outside the yard, and the chickens get a bit nervous and move away from the fence. I used to have a different cat and unfenced chickens. The cat would hide in the weeds and jump out at the chickens, but never touch them. After a while the chickens ignored the cat. In many cases a chicken pecks the cat and after that the cat keeps his distance. I've also seen pics here of cats sleeping in nest boxes.

5. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    cats are easier to train and chicken proof then dogs they get the hint quick chickens are part of the house hold but those same cats might take a shot at a grouse or a wild bird they know the diff. Even the chicks will be safe just takes a bit gettig use to.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by