Family dog, yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hollymh, Jan 15, 2011.

1. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    We're moving back to the US here shortly and we are anticipating getting a rescue dog, but even with vet tech experience I'm still curious what other's thoughts are on a good family dog. I have looked at GSD's, Labs, Collies, Great pryn, there are just so many! Chances are I will end up with a mix which is fine too, but I can generally tell a dominant breed by just looking so what are your thoughts? I have small children and cats so something friendly, loving, protective, DEF kid friendly? [​IMG]

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Anything puppy? [​IMG]

3. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Labs [​IMG]

4. hunterjumper999

hunterjumper999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    Pit bull mix or pit bull- avoid blue dogs due to overbreeding and temperment issue unless you go with a known breeder that does intense health screening. . . IF you wanted to go purebred I'd reccomend an Am Staff as well. I love bullies because they have a very high pain tolerance and can be excellent family dogs. Active and on the go. Just please train it well because we have enough NEGATIVE attention [​IMG] but i'm sure you would being in the animal industry .

PS. you may want to ask a mod to move this to the Other pets section [​IMG]

5. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    We have a black lab -- he is good with the kids and loves the cats and chickens. [​IMG]

6. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:Not to hijack, but I would LOVE to have a pittie!!! Watching Pit Bulls and Parolees has really opened my eyes on that breed, though I loved them before, I love them even more now that I understand the beautiful breed they are

7. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:Not to hijack, but I would LOVE to have a pittie!!! Watching Pit Bulls and Parolees has really opened my eyes on that breed, though I loved them before, I love them even more now that I understand the beautiful breed they are

[​IMG] pits! I had a sweet girl named Precious, such a loyal loving girl. I don't care for purity, I'm up for any breed just looking for thoughts and personal experiences with different breeds [​IMG]

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Can't beat a great pet dog. I've had almost all mixes. Seems to me you will know which one is yours when you meet him.

9. ebwy2

ebwy2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    a good shelter will ask about family, location, other animals etc and advise you if they have a dog they think is suited to you

10. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    Labs are good choice and there is a plenty of mixes in the shelter. During their first year of life they can be a handful and chew and dig but after that they are sweet and very calm and good around kids, chickens etc... My advice though is to get a girl dog. Everybody i know that has a male lab hates him because they cant teach him any manners. My girl lab even knows tricks we havent tought her. She knows when she comes inside that she isnt allowed in the house except for her blanket next to the back door.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by