Family Farm 8% Scratch Grains 40lb bag at Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by farnorth, Mar 16, 2015.

1. farnorth

farnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2013
    Upper Michigan
    Does anyone buy/use this product? I was wondering exactly what was in it? From what I could find it has no list of ingredients and no analysis on the bag. Under ingredients is simply says "grains"

I'd like a little more info. Is it just cracked corn and a few other things? Any help appreciated. A Google search yielded no help.

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I wouldn't buy anything so poorly labeled. Mary

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I'm amending my previous post. Just went out and read the label on my Purina Scratch Grains bag, and it's the same as the above poster's label.[​IMG] I do have some confidence in Purina Mills, and wonder where FF&H's feed is manufactured? Just wondering... Mary

4. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    It's cracked corn, wheat berries and milo if memory serves correctly

5. frielscoop

frielscoop New Egg

Feb 5, 2015
    I get 7grain scratch from a small feed mill , and it looks so much better than the "store bought" scratch i was buying before. The price is good also, #25 of scratch for $8, I also get my mash there too and it looks great too. I know everyone cant go to a small local feed mill,I feel lucky that I can

6. arlenecruises

arlenecruises Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2016
    My concern is the corn non GMO ?

I think that is important if you want organic hearty eggs. Maybe I am wrong.

Sure is a great price is the quality is acceptable

7. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

If it is 8% Crude Protein then it hast to be mostly corn. Currently corn is running in the 7 to 7.5% crude protein range, it it might have something else.

Instead of worrying about a false boogy man like GMO, I'd be more worried about why you'd want to feed something that is nutritionally inadequate for any class of poultry.

8. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    like heck I do worry about GMO and its not a False bogey man. If the greedy .... the creepos had their way we all be eating" SOLYENT GREENS" I am trying like heck to avoid corn and soy even for myself..... "SEEDS OF DECEPTION"
    Yeah, nutr deficient prob.. But a gal in this town only feed her chicken corn... she said they do fine. she is Indian and very knowledeable about plants , herbs etc... But she also has goats, etc and she said "Table SCRaps"...too
    I never really have much table scraps.. other tha peelings.. we dont waste much...I give the thicker pumpkin peelings to the mealworms ... stuff that might go bad cause Hubby or occ Me forgot about in fridge. goes into the compost bin or deep in the woods.. away from chickens..
    .Oc open box of crackers and they may b rancid they go into the woods

1 person likes this.
  9. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Then she didn't just feed her chickens only corn.

Feeding only corn is inappropriate without supplementation of other ingredients the corn can not support normal growth and body function because it does not contain enough protein, calcium, and other required nutrients.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by