Family growing.. again.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Rhett&SarahsMom, May 23, 2008.

1. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    When I first gave thought to raising chickens for eggs I figured on 4 hens. That would be enough for my family of three. With any extra's for my mom and mother in law. Well.

I told one set of neighbors today that we would be getting some chicks, so that we could have fresh eggs. Told her about the set up(chicken tractor) and our plans for the composting of the poop. Since they plant a garden every year. And about our fencing plans. She got EXCITED! And here I was being concerned and all about the neighbors.[​IMG] She goes on to tell me that they would gladly pay me for the eggs and so would some other neighbors. So it looks like i might be calling the hatchery and adding some more Buff Orps etc to the order. Which isnt due to ship until June 11th anyway.

Any idea on how many more I should order? I have an order via Ideal for 3 Buff Orps and 1 Black Cochin(plus 6 Orps for a friend) How many will I need to be able to have some for the neighbors as well? Another 4 or 5?

My poor husband. Maybe I wont tell him.[​IMG]

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Well - I have nine hens and get between 6 - 9 eggs every day.

3. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Well from experience, I can tell you that cochins might be beautiful, but they are not good egg layers LOL They are more you egg sitter types [​IMG] They make great mammas though. Ive heard orpingtons can be the same way, I dont have expereince with them so maybe someone can tell you better.

Dont want to burst your bubble, just want to give you heads up LOL I had to learn the hard way, I bought all the pretty cochins, silkies ect just to find out that when they feel like laying eggs, they are about the size of a golf ball [​IMG]

As for how many to get...well, not a question I can answer. Like I said, I went for the pretty babies and would get 6 on a good day from about 12-15 girls LOL

Good luck with your little flock!!!

P.S. Id say, dont tell the hubby. Its just easier that way [​IMG] I know it is for me hehe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by