Family in Ohio Considering Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mommytoadam, Aug 7, 2011.

1. mommytoadam

mommytoadam New Egg

Aug 7, 2011
    Good evening! My family and I (mainly my 11 year old son) has been researching getting chickens. We just purchased and have been remodeling a small farmhouse on 3.5 acres. We'd love to raise our own chicken for eggs. A friend of my husband's used to raise chickens and is giving us his large coop in exchange for our 11 year old son coming to clean it out. We're excited, but we also want to be prepared so we're trying to do as much research as possible before choosing the chickens.

We've been enjoying the website while doing our research. Frankly I'm amazed by the wealth of information on just one site! I can't wait to read through all the forums and learn as much as we can. My son thinks he has picked out the perfect breed in the Star chickens. Being that we do have two smaller children, we wanted to find a docile breed and he's really set on the Stars. I look forward to talking with other people who have the Stars or can recommend another great breed.

Have a fabulous day!

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

That great, there fun to watch and you wont get fresher eggs LOL. [​IMG] Hello, from the Big Bear mountains of Ca. Glad you found us. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas! Sounds like you are doing tons of research and I think that you will be most pleased when you finally do take the plunge. Best of luck!! [​IMG]

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from a fellow Buckeye. So glad you joined. Red Stars aka, Golden Buffs, Production Reds, and Cinnamon Queens depending on the hatchery, are great production birds. I have two as well. I also have a variety of others listed in my signiture. You should also check out and add yourself with the other Ohio members at the link below. [​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12049

6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Welcome from the SE Texas Panhandle!! [​IMG]

~ Aspen

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. DawnCols

DawnCols Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Welcome!

What part of Ohio are you in?

I'm becoming partial to Buff Orpingtons--very friendly, docile, and I'm told they lay lots of eggs (but mine haven't started yet.)
    I don't have experience with but a couple of breeds (having had a total of 5 chickens so far).

Anyway, no doubt you're on your way to a wonderful chicken adventure.

Best wishes and welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by