Family Member was diagnosed with Gallstones needs operation need .....

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by PitterPaws, Jul 4, 2010.

1. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    A family member was diagnosed with Gallstones and was told they need to have their gall bladder removed, We would like some input into this has anyone had their gallblader removed or know someone who has? please tell us how it went and how you were after surgery and how you are now. Thanks!

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I had mine removed when I was 22. The surgery was done with a laser. I was a little sore after the surgery but was back to work in two weeks. The only thing I noticed after was that certain types of food still bother me.

3. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Did you still get the sever pain or just like indigestion?

4. ky chicks

ky chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    My husband had his removed when he was 28. It was easy--we were home by lunch (and had hot wings!). I'm thinking it was a Thursday, he only took 1 of the prescribed painkillers once we got home, and he went back to work Monday. He had been having severe reflux, but hasn't had any major problems since the surgery (about 6 years ago). Good luck to you and your family!

5. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    Get it done. It's not going to get better it will only get worse. I had mine done under an emergency situation because a stone had blocked everything up and my gall bladder had gotten infected.

When you get an attack yes the pain is bad but the uncontrollable vomiting is worse. Even when my stomache was comepletly empty I would still be heaving.

I was sore as heck after the surgery. Then they would come in my room and tell me I needed to cough so I wouldn't get pneumonia. Yea right. It hurt just to breathe.

After everything wall healed up things were a lot better. Not near as much trouble with indigestion. I would recommend that your family member go through with it.

Mine wasn't as easy as ky chicks husband's was. I was in the hospital for three days but still worth it.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I had mine out in Jan. of 02. The surgery was done laparascopically (4-5 small incisions) and I was home that same evening. The surgery was done on Fri. evening about 6:00 p.m. and I was discharged at 11:30 p.m. Fri. evening. On Sunday morning I was teaching a class at church and leading the praise & worship. In retrospect, that was probably not a good idea, because I did feel weak and was sore for a week or two. I have very few issues now. There were things my dr. didn't mention about the post-op period, one of which was feeling like my stomach was full of oil all the time [​IMG] Another strange side effect is that whether you eat or not, the bile your liver produces now continually drips into the intestine so you may have a sudden urge to eliminate and it be nothing but bile. (sorry if that's TMI, but you asked!) Gradually the person will adjust to be able to eat almost anything they want. The main things that may cause some gastric upset is heavy/greasy foods, very spicy foods like barbecue sauce or salsa, and some people say cucumbers and onions bother them. I hope your family member recovers well with no complications. [​IMG] Be aware, though, that even the "simple" procedure done laparascopically will make the person quite sore. I was more sore w/ the gallbladder removal than I was with a total hysterectomy.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  7. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    I had mine removed at age 50..was such a relief to be rid of it..the not knowing when the next attack would be..I had 3 before it was removed. My surgery was laser also; I went in on Monday, surgery early Tuesday morning. I did have an extremely diseased gall bladder, which left my liver very bruised. i also had a slight problem with my duodiem that caused me to remain in the hospital til Friday..BUT I have had no problems since and very little problems with what I eat. (I think the anethesia was the worst part).

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I had stones and my gallbladder was removed. Easy operation, three teensy scars, fast recovery.

9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I had mine out when I was 25. Easy operation with no trouble afterwards. I have to be careful about eating certain foods such as cheese, sour cream, etc., as they give me problems.

10. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Had mine out 5 weeks ago, Day surgery , in surgery at 10:00 home by 1:30. Laprascopy with 3 small incisions. Pretty sore first week. Felt good after that. Hardest thing is not lifting.
    Eating is interesting, working food back in to see what bothers you. Hanging close to restroom. So glad I had it taken out. I am just not very hungry. Just a note I was more comfortable sleeping in a recliner. Lying flat hurt.

Micah

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by