Family Pets

CayugaJana

Free Ranging
Sep 2, 2017
I currently have 6 ducks, a cat, and a dog. Right now anything that comes over our fence and isn’t let in by us humans is dead. My lab is an excellent guard dog. But he is an old guy. I’m wondering when he finally passes, what will help keep the ducks safer. Our house backs up to fields and some wooded area.

I love geese and I’ve heard they are great protectors. But I don’t know a lot about them. I don’t want one who attacks and bites. I would love one who protects the flock but is really friendly to us and the kids. If that exists.

Oh ok! Those are so cute but my property is too small for one.

Meeee toooo :(

The guy at the feed store last week was trying to convince me I need a goose (or pair of them) as flock protectors. I have never had one. I think they are good alarms but would not fight anymore than a rooster. I got the impression goose is like rooster minus all the morning crowing, but again, I have not owned one.

Yes I didn’t necessarily want one to be able to kill animals like my dog, but scare them and sound the alarm. I think it is so special that the goose and gander help raise the goslings.

First let me make it clear that I have 11 geese and love them all.

Now, geese will alert to something "new" in their area. It might be a friend visiting or it might be a hawk circling overhead. But they will not "protect" as in a defensive manner. They will become very territorial and aggressive during their mating season and if they have gosling's...watch your back.

Another option for you would be a puppy that your older dog can "train" and that will grow up with the other animals (and people) and be a protector for all.

I agree on a new pup, My geese are big wimps they can be mean as the dickens with another bird in their flock but when the Red tail flew in and attacked my bantam hen they were up against the gate leading into our back yard along with the ducks. They will maybe sound an alarm but cannot hold their own against a predator with teeth or talons.

Back
Top Bottom