Family pig passed away this morning-and we don't know why.

ThePolishPrincess

Songster
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Orange County, New York
Eleanor Rigby, our miniature pink pot-bellied piggie passed away this morning and my mom was there to see it all. I feel so bad for her.
hit.gif
I was at school. I'm heartbroken. I've had an internal irking at this animal for years because she demanded food, when she wanted it, wherever she wanted it, and was just too hard to keep up with. Now I feel like she passed away thinking that I didn't love her. She was difficult, but I'd be a liar to say that I didn't love her. She has given me some of the greatest moments of my life.

Pigby was only about 6 months old when we adopted her from a Pot-bellied rescue. It was my mom's idea, really, but the whole family was on-board with it. The foster mom said she had been kept inside two people's actual households previously. But they couldn't take care of her. She said she would have been happy if we kept the piggie inside at least until the weather got warm. We did good on our promise and Eleanor Rigby became an indoor pig. When she started breaking things, we had to move her outside. But we gave her a nice dog-igloo (pig-gloo) and fencing. She's been with us for almost 3 years...

My mom said this morning, Rigby was doing her usual thing, prancing around inside her cage, and she suddenly dropped on the ground and started heeving and couldn't get up...and she just...died...
hit.gif
My mom thought she was having a heart-attack but there was nothing that could be done. I feel so empty. We've kept our pig more healthy than most people could keep her. She had her usual food, was obviously not malnourished. We changed her water every day. But dispite all this, she's lived with no 'closed' door at night, she has been exposed to the elements. But she was the strongest animal I ever knew.

I only hope that she didn't suffer and was happy. That really bothers me.
hit.gif
I tell myself she would have been happier here where she isn't bullied by other pigs and has room to roam and eat and lie in the sun...it was just so sudden...

hugs.gif

We lost one Duroc meat pig due to heart attack and I think that is what she might have died from.

At least she had a happy owner and happy home!

I'm so sorry for your loss. Feelings of guilt are common, but I'm sure she knew you loved her, and it sounds like she had a great life. It's always hard when the loss is a complete shock. A little different when you see it coming. Sounds like she didn't have time to suffer, and that's a blessing. Consider all yourselves hugged
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom