Family ramblings- for holiday stress mode people to feel better

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by lowry075, Nov 26, 2011.

1. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    I keep reading all these posts about hurt feelings, invitations to dinner, crazy relatives, etc.; SO, I thought this could be a thread to vent and let everyone know you are not alone if your family has someone annoying, mean, silly, etc.

I will start: I have some great family, but on DH's side, he has two older sisters. He speaks to neither of them. One is a pathological liar, who has hit my MIL, lied to the cops to try to get my FIL arrested, stolen jewlery, picutres, basically anything not nailed down, from in laws, etc. The other sister is not AS bad, but she and DH are on polar ends of belief systems, and don't get along well. This sister has also tried to get DH involved in lies to MIL, who after 19 strokes, (no I didn't mistype the number), has problems with emotions and memory.

As a result, they don't get invited over on holidays. It's a bummer because I have no siblings, so my kids have no aunts, pretty much. It isn't something I grieve over or anything, lots of people have no extended family like that, but it still is hard to see them play MIL.

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    My relatives are either dead, far away, or not speaking to me. For holidays it is just my SO and me. We like it that way.

3. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    Well, this holiday wasn't the best. True, I got to spend time with my immediate family (parents and siblings, minus one brother) that I haven't been with for a while, but ughh.

We left Wednesday at 7 PM to drive 6 and a half hours to CT, 5 of us crammed in a truck, to 'vacation' near my brother. Now, I love my brother (oldest) dearly. Truly I do. But he happens to be a clergyman. Nothing wrong with that. BUT my sister, younger brother and I stayed in the house he lives in, with the 3 other clergy, while my parents slept at a parishoner's house. That wasn't the bad part.....The bad part was being paraded around, meeting TONS of people (I'm a severe introvert; went to tears at the end of each day because of the sheer social interaction) and being told OVER AND OVER again 'We LOVVVVE your brother! Your brother is SOOO wonderful!' Which, I do kinda agree with, as he is a very holy man, and has done a lot for that church. But being told that sooooooo many dagone times! When he was here in MD, we'd go to his church and hear the same thing. Since he went to CT, though, we have not heard that for a long while. And I had forgotten how annnnooooyyying it was. Erg. Not to mention, the love of my life is very mad at me, because of somewhat of a misunderstanding.....

I can't wait till Christmas......It can't be as bad as Thanksgiving.

4. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    Red&Yellow, I LOVE your signiture! I always tell my kids to "stop digging" when they argue with me. I think I would have the flue or something at Christmas. Visit on Thursday and have to get home Saturday. You love him I know, but, you love HIM not what everyone else thinks of him.

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I don't have any major drama,but my brother IS a scammer who uses those stupid enough to allow it. I love him,but detest his life choices.I won't let him scam me anymore.My mom is the bleeding heart who bails her son and then complains about it non-stop....bringing down everyones mood with life sucking negative vibes. I mean really she has to make ME feel bad cuz I am happy and stress free by saying things like," Boy I wish I could feel that way." Well guess what-she could,but she makes a choice to allow her son to use her,and then wants me to suffer along with her.Thank you for the vent.

I will admit I love the crazy holiday movies,but real life family drama I prefer to avoid. Then again I am one who can not hold her tongue,and I say my thoughts. My family hates it,but alas it makes no difference in their behavior.I may just have to cut off contact.Hugs for those dealing with family BS. Life is already hard enough for each of us,and people gotta add this junk into the mix. Shame on them. I think the worst part is because they are family we feel like we MUST tolerate it. Isn't that crazy? Would we tolerate it from friends or co-workers? Never,but we think nothing of suffering a life time when family hurts us.

6. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    My monster-in-law is being a complete fool this season. Granted she's always been a bitter old hag however she continues to top herself every year. I have been with my DH for 12 years. My son, who's father is deceased adores my dh and I love our family. Well my son is graduating from Marine bootcamp and MIL wants to know why DH is missing a family bday party to go and see my son graduate when HE ISN"T EVEN HIS FATHER. Seriously...does it get any more evil than that?

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Had Turkey Day at brothers with another brother and sister who traveled some 900 miles south. Wonderful day. Great memories. My siblings and their kids are awesome.

DS#1 spent it with two of my sisters, their families and my mother up north.

Brother #1 has a huge family and they had their own Thanksgiving.

8. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    It's hard sometimes, I know. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by