Family Thinks I'm Crazy!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vlflower, Sep 26, 2011.

1. vlflower

vlflower Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Altamont, NY
    First a big thanks to everyone that contributes here. As a first time chicken owner I have learned a lot from here!

We have 6 RIR and 6 SLW all 22 weeks this week. A couple started laying 3 weeks ago. When I first set up their nestboxes, I asked my hubby for some golf balls....of course I got "the look". My girls that have started laying all have been laying in the coop, but none of them in the boxes. The will get in the boxes and kick the bedding around, but no egss despite the golf balls being there.

So Saturday morning I took some material and added curtains to their nest boxes. My daughter wasn't home at the time that I did that and later in the day we had to run to Agway for supplies. While talking with the employee at Agway, I mentioned that I added the curtains in hopes that they would start to lay in the boxes. My daughter looked at me and said "you put curtains on the boxes?". When I said yup she shook her head and said...."I'll wait for you in the car!" LOL

Well the joke is on her because I am happy to say that this morning I found my first egg of the day in one of the nest boxes next to the Golf Ball!!!

Thanks again everyone! Luvin every minute with my little characters!

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    LOL the things we do for our chickens! Congrats on getting them to lay in the nest box.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Good for you! YAY FIRST EGG! There's nothing like that first egg.....Except the first white egg, the first brown egg, the first green or blue egg....the first Marans egg......[​IMG]

Did you get little curtains with tiny chickens on them? LOL That' would have been sooooo darned cute! LOL

Sharon

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    YAY! Good for you!

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] I would have beat her to the car to wait in shame [​IMG]

6. vlflower

Jul 25, 2011
    Altamont, NY
    No chickens on the curtains. I had some bolts of material and went with the purple crushed velour!!! LOL

Apparently the other girls that are laying didn't get the memo yet....just went up with the afternoon treats and had two eggs in the coop....no biggie..they will catch on I'm sure!

7. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Ohh La La, MOOD curtains!!

8. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Quote:Funny post! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    What an image that brings to mind - kinda like the Chicken Ranch from "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas". Do you have a rooster named Burt?

9. vlflower

Jul 25, 2011
    Altamont, NY
    No Roos.....but that is too funny!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by