Family to loose pet goat

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rooster0209, Mar 5, 2009.

1. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Despite her family's pleas to let Gigi, the Nigerian dwarf goat, stay in their South Milwaukee home, the board of health voted unanimously Wednesday night that the goat -- technically a non-permissible farm animal -- has to go."I never thought I would live in a house with snakes, nor did I ever think I would live in a house with a goat," Gigi's owner Gail Krug said, who was distraught after the board's vote. "How can you dictate what a family can love?"

"I understand. I have a pet. And I understand it's very difficult to not be able to keep that pet," Health Department official Jacqueline Ove said. "We certainly will try to work with her to give her adequate time to find a new home for the pet."

The South Milwaukee Police Department said this all started in December.

"A resident at 505 Madison contacted the South Milwaukee Police Department requesting an ambulance because they had smoked too much marijuana, and they were requesting a ride to the hospital," South Milwaukee Police Chief Ann Wellens said.

While responding to the call for help, police discovered the goat and suspected it did not comply with city rules. The health department was called.

"They clearly had stated that they have taken the goat to many different places -- including nursing homes and children's birthday parties, those kinds of things -- and I think that may pose a danger," Ove said.

Goats can carry rabies, and no approved vaccination for goats exists.

The Krugs have contacted a couple of farms near South Milwaukee, but they are not sure yet where Gigi's new home will be.

No felony charges were ever filed against the Krugs. One of the sons in the home received a couple of citations.
    http://www.wisn.com/family/18858430/detail.html

More news on the goat w/pic of goat
    http://www.wisn.com/family/18837136/detail.html

2. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

leave it to the pot smoking neighbor.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:I don't think it was a neighbor. I think the pot smoker was at the same address as the goat. I would have to wonder if there is more going on. Perhaps the home isn't the most suitable for any animal and this is just an easy way to put it in a better place. Perhaps it is simpler to say it's not allowed than it is to site them on charges of keeping the animal in inappropriate conditions. I suspect there might be more to this story.

4. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I don't think it was a neighbor. I think the pot smoker was at the same address as the goat. I would have to wonder if there is more going on. Perhaps the home isn't the most suitable for any animal and this is just an easy way to put it in a better place. Perhaps it is simpler to say it's not allowed than it is to site them on charges of keeping the animal in inappropriate conditions. I suspect there might be more to this story.

I guess I didnt' look at the links, should probably of done that before posting... [​IMG]
    I just assumed from this post that it was a neighbor....
    If it's someone in the same house, then yes, I agree there might be more issues than stated...

5. beak

beak On vacation

Dec 12, 2008
    Kiowa, Colorado
    Sounds like the goat isn't allowed in the city limits. Why did the police have to make an issue of it. What does the owner smoking pot have to do with the quality of the home? Can goats be house broken?

The fact is if someone called the police because they smoked too much pot, they were probably doing it the 1st time. You can't OD on pot. If they were regular smokers they would know that and would never call the police.

6. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    sorry, but WTH is wrong with these people?!

If you want to keep a "illegal" pet goat in the house

Dont go smoking so much pot that you then feel the need to call the EMTs!

Geez. Talk about drawing attention to yourself.

Off to bring in a chicken and fire up the bong!!

joking.. I have never smoked a joint in my life

also... how many people are bitten by goats? Rabid goats at that. And why dont they have a rabies vaccination for goats? Or cows for that matter. Are they not a risk? I mean I am sure that both can bite.

sorry,,, too many cadbury Cream eggs.. sugar overdose

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  7. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    Goats with rabies? Smoked too much pot and called the police? What the heck is going on in that city? I never heard that goats could have rabies. At least whoever smoked too much weed didn't get the munchies and try to eat the goat. LOL

8. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Yes, goats can get rabies. There was a living history park in Tifton GA that had a goat in their farm set up. A lot of people had petted the goat before they found out it had rabies. That is the only case I have heard of involving goats, but it is possible.

Sounds to me like the goat would be better off in a new home anyway, if the owners are smoking pot and whatever else. People! [​IMG]

9. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Yes goats can be house broken.
    Bailey Girl was and still is house broken, she will blatt when she needs to go outside.
    She also would only potty in the house when no one was up to let her out.
    due to stupid town she is now living the life of a goat with 2 others at a friend of mine.
    a pet is a pet whether it is a cat, dog ,snake ,spider, goat ,chickens etc there is no actual laws as to whether they have to live outside or inside. its personal choice and what the person can live with and how clean the animals are kept inside.

DCYS, Police dpt, didnt have an issue with the goat living in the house, forst words from their mouths were, oh cute goat, where's the smell? no smell as long as you clean after them, good old soap and water, and Natures Miricle take any odor right out of cement.

the only one to take issue with it was the Health inspector who btw owned goats and claimed they are disease carriers and filthy animals, DCYS worker looked right at her and said obviously not if they are kept clean. much to the health inspectors chigrin. I just snickered.
    They were here 5 hours and in that time never once did the goat offer to potty on the floor but asked 3 times to o be taken outside. very impressive for a 4 month old baby goat.

sorry didnt mean to hyjack the thread.

10. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Rhett&SarahsMom :

sorry, but WTH is wrong with these people?!

If you want to keep a "illegal" pet goat in the house

Dont go smoking so much pot that you then feel the need to call the EMTs!

Geez. Talk about drawing attention to yourself.

Off to bring in a chicken and fire up the bong!!

joking.. I have never smoked a joint in my life

also... how many people are bitten by goats? Rabid goats at that. And why dont they have a rabies vaccination for goats? Or cows for that matter. Are they not a risk? I mean I am sure that both can bite.

sorry,,, too many cadbury Cream eggs.. sugar overdose

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I agree that these folks were not the sharpest tools in the shed! Let's get completely fried and call the EMT's! Yeah, whatever!

Hope the little goat got or will get a good home. It's a shame the little thing ended up in all this mess [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by