Famous Quotes by a GREAT AMERICAN!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mahonri, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've always loved these and they are so very true.

Thought it's appropriate with mlk and BO days coming next week.

'Here's my strategy on the Cold War:We win, they lose '- Ronald Reagan

'The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'- Ronald Reagan

'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'- Ronald Reagan

'Of the four wars in my lifetime, none came about because the U.S. was too strong.'
    - Ronald Reagan! !

'I have wondered at times about what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the U.S. Congress.'- Ronald Reagan

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'
    - Ronald Reagan

'Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.'
    - Ronald Reagan

'The nearest thing to eternal life we will ever see on this earth is a government program.'- Ronald Reagan

'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.'- Ronald Reagan

'Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases : If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.'- Ronald Reagan

'Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed, there are many rewards; if you disgrace yourself, you can always write a book.'- Ronald Reagan

'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'- Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation goneunder.'
    -Ronald Reagan

2. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Now they are fantastic!!! ................

pardon my ignorance M...but did he ever write a book and if so whats the title I would love to read it........if I can get it in the UK...

3. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    never trust a skinny coook= me

guns are a right never to be taken
    they remind the government to serve the people
    not the people to serve the government
    = Ronaald Reagan

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    They are all fantastic quotes from a fantastic man, but I especially like this one. [​IMG]

Quote:

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:You would think that I would know the answer to that question. Time to Google it or go to Amazon.

6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
  7. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
  8. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    Here are a few of my favorites.
    Never Give In, Never Never Never "Winston Churhcill"

One swallow does not make a summer, but one skein of geese, cleaving the murk of March thaw, is the Spring.
    Aldo Leopold

A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.
    Aldo Leopold

In June as many as a dozen species may burst their buds on a single day. No man can heed all of these anniversaries; no man can ignore all of them.
    Aldo Leopold

Killing the Wolf
    [....] We were eating lunch on a high rimrock, at the foot of which a turbulent river elbowed its way. We saw what we thought was a doe fording the torrent, her breast awash in white water. When she climbed the bank toward us and shook out her tail, we realized our error: it was a wolf. A half-dozen others, evidently grown pups, sprang from the willows and all joined in a welcoming melee of wagging tails and playful maulings. What was literally a pile of wolves writhed and tumbled in the center of an open flat at the foot of our rimrock.

In those days we had never heard of passing up a chance to kill a wolf. In a second we were pumping lead into the pack, but with more excitement than accuracy; how to aim a steep downhill shot is always confusing. When our rifles were empty, the old wolf was down, and a pup was dragging a leg into impassable side-rocks.

We reached the old wolf in time to watch a fierce green fire dying in her eyes. I realized then, and have known ever since, that there was something new to me in those eyes—something known only to her and to the mountain. I was young then, and full of trigger-itch; I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view.

Since then I have lived to see state after state extirpate its wolves. I have watched the face of many a newly wolfless mountain, and seen the south-facing slopes wrinkle with a maze of new deer trails. I have seen every edible bush and seedling browsed, first to anaemic desuetude, and then to death. I have seen every edible tree defoliated to the height of a saddlehorn. Such a mountain looks as if someone had given God a new pruning shears, and forbidden Him all other exercise. In the end the starved bones of the hoped-for deer herd, dead of its own too-much, bleach with the bones of the dead sage, or molder under the high-lined junipers.
    Aldo Leopold

The following are quotes of Abraham Lincoln

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them."

"Whenever I hear any one arguing for slavery I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally."

"I have stepped out upon this platform that I may see you and that you may see me, and in the arrangement I have the best of the bargain."

"We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature."

"I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts, that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle. I feel how weak and fruitless must be any words of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save. I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours, to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of Freedom."

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ronald Reagan was The Man! I admire and respect him tremendously and it was sad day that he passed from us.

10. Jay13

Jay13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central NC
    One of my favorites by Robin Williams in his movie "man of the year" -

Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed frequently and for the same reasons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by