Fan for an incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dustponds10, May 13, 2010.

1. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Well I bought some incubators and I am wondering on what kind of fan I need to use to put into one. I have a Hovabator and it doesnt that the fan built into it. here is what I am thinking about installing into my incubator. Will it be to big or create to much of an air flow? Is there such thing as to much air flow? Just wondering if you could help me out it would be awesome.
    http://www.marinedepot.com/IceCap_4...ighting-IceCap-IC5111-FILTACAF-IC5113-vi.html
    will this fan work? It is 4 inches or is it way over kil?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I know nothing about fans. Bump!

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:the one I installed on my homemade bator came off a computer power supply it was a 4" one it has worked for 5 hatches so far the last hatch was the best, 8 out of 9 eggs

4. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    cool, that is what I am looking for, has anyone else had an experience with installing a fan like this in a hovabator?

5. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    We have a homemade incubator and use the 4 in metal fans....works very well....

6. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    If you use a fan that is to big, the air flow will not let you keep the temperture up. Use a computer fan poited up away from the eggs and it will work great for you. Plus, it won't break the bank, There are many threads here that will teel you how to do it.

7. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    it looks like a computer fan size of you unit will determine what is needed. 2 inch may be easier to fit
    in your unit (laptop fan). If it physically fits, I like that it is variable. So you will be able to adjust fan speed to meet your need.

8. ducklove290

ducklove290 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2015
    Cecil county, Maryland
    This is a old post but maybe I can get some help. I have lg 9300 still air. We had a old laptop so I took the fan out of it. I wired it and everything but now by question is where should I put the fan in the incubator?

9. Drewnkat

Drewnkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2008
    Georgia
    I have an old hovabator still air that I rigged up with a computer fan.

From photos I have seen, the LG9300 is very similar in shape/configuration. I put my fan on the lid, and that is where the 9300 models that come with fans have them installed. Do you have a photo of yours?

I had never incubated before, and so far all but one of my eggs has hatched, and the last one is zipping and about to pop. I'm definitely convinced, circulated air is the way to go, for me!

10. ducklove290

ducklove290 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2015
    Cecil county, Maryland
    The fan is a laptop fan so the air comes out the side so if I put it on the told inside it would just blow air towards one of the sides that's Why I wasn't sure where to put it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by