Fan from computer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by monarc23, Nov 17, 2008.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    So I took my old computer apart, and took out the fan just incase I can figure out how to use it in my LG incubator after this last hatch hatches (i dont want to do it during incase i mess up).

I have no clue how to hook it up. I am VERY ignorant with mechanical stuff.....if I could take a picture of the fan i would but right now im inbetween computers, using my moms computer at the moment, and my camera isnt compatable with her comp...so no pictures to show my wee fan.

It has a chord running out of it with some sorta plug at the end...my question is...where on an LG can i plug or do i have to learn how to splice wires to put it in?

I had read of people putting computer fans in their LGs so i'd love some information please [​IMG]

Thank you!

niki

2. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    anyone? I know some of you know how to do this...i've read your posts mentioning it but no major detail someone? anyone? [​IMG]

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Look close at the fan and see if it has any specs on it. We need
    to know the voltage and if it's ac or dc.

You won't be able to wire it directly to your LG. You will need an ac
    adaptor off an answering machine, phone, toy, something. Everyone
    has a drawer full of these somewhere in their house.

4. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
  5. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    I'm just like you Niki i have no clue how to hook things like that up.. but i notice when i stop pass the farm store the other day that there are fans for LG's and it shows you how to attach it to the LG

6. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:Yes but those are 120volt ac fan kits that blow out the sides. Hooking
    up a computer fan is a bit more complicated and in my opinion less
    effective. On the other hand many have used computer fans and
    say they work great.

7. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Yes but those are 120volt ac fan kits that blow out the sides. Hooking
    up a computer fan is a bit more complicated and in my opinion less
    effective. On the other hand many have used computer fans and
    say they work great.

eeh looks ilke i'd rather just buy the fan for it then! LOL! Sounds too scary to try my little fan, it's cute though! [​IMG] Maybe i'll read that thread anyhow and maybe make my own incubator use this fan, and toss in some eggs that I don't need just incase it's a failed hatch thanks guys! [​IMG]

8. qhluvr34

qhluvr34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Brazil, Indiana
    I have a pc fan in my incubator and it works fine. I made a wire cage around it so the chicks could not get in it and laid in down in the back of the incubator. I wired it to an adaptor from an old cordless phone (make sure it is 15 volts or more). My incubator has a place for a wire in the back so that is where I laid the fan and ran the wire out and closed the lid. I would take a pic for you but right now I am hatching. It has increased my hatching rate or at least I think it has.

9. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:thanks for the info qhluvr, if you remember after the hatching is all over and dont mind i'd love to see the fan set up! [​IMG]

10. qhluvr34

qhluvr34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Brazil, Indiana
    No problem, give me a day or two, I have staggered hatching going on right now. Should be done Tues or Wed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by