1. Caseym1717

Caseym1717 In the Brooder

Feb 23, 2018
    Fresno, California
    Hi! I live in CA where it is still 100 degrees at midnight. My coop has a small window and pretty big window (1 ftx1 ft) that is left open at night but I think the coop is still very warm. My coop has an arched ceiling so at the top, i have a small fan that just adds some air flow. they can put their faces up to it but it is not pointing right at them. Do you think a fan is ok? I don't want them breathing in dust but it is not hitting the shavings so there isn't any dust.

BlackHackle likes this.
  2. Can they peck the fan? That's my only concern, otherwise it sounds fine to me. :)

BlackHackle likes this.
  3. IamRainey

IamRainey Songster

I've had a fan blowing in my coop for the last week too. My chicks can't get close. I'm depending on my older girls to know better. Besides, they only go up into the coop after dark when the timer on the fan winds down.

I think your chickens are in more danger from the heat than the fan.

BlackHackle likes this.
  4. BlackHackle

BlackHackle Gone away, will be back next month

Jun 1, 2018
    Out North
    My Coop
    This is perfectly okay, I do it all the time

5. Dharmachick

Dharmachick Songster

Feb 14, 2015
    Washougal, Wa
    Me too. I have a broody and it is in the 90s. I keep a fan on during the day, since it cools off into the 60s at night. I also fill up 1/2 gallon jugs with water and freeze it, and put it one on each side of her nest to keep her cool.

BlackHackle likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: