fan installation on lg incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pokey, Feb 10, 2009.

1. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    for those of you that have a lg bator that is forced air which direction does the fan blow? down towards the eggs or upward away from the eggs?

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have heard that the air should blow away from the eggs, that blowing the air on the eggs is "disastrous" end quote.

3. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:It blows directly on the eggs without issue.

4. hobbieorb

hobbieorb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    wythe, Virginia
    Good question, knowing I just installed a computer fan in mine 30 min. ago. I put mine in a lg top half on the rear.

5. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:The point about it blowing down, rather than up, is that it blows directly onto, or across the water surface making it much easier to increase humidity.

I have observed no negative effect of the air movement being towards the eggs. They still all hatch [​IMG]

6. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    it has to blow up for it will cool the eggs down if it blows down!!!

7. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:It won't. It is blowing air at 99.5F, it will have no measurable cooling effect.

Y'all need to quit guessing [​IMG]

8. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    i have a four LG's, that i have put fans in and if you make the fan blow on the eggs they will still hatch, but it will take longer for them to do, i know that it is blowing 99.5 deg air, but my point is if it blows up it can not move as much air, so it can not cool the air, if it blows down it will move the air faster and cool it down. i am just telling you what works in my LG's. for my hatch rate has been and hope will stay at around 95 to 98% on all hatches, and i hatch about 100 to 150 eggs a month sometimes more. for i have four LG's and two homemade bators and one Hova 1602. william

9. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:The fan moves the same amount of air whichever direction it blows in. I have owned and built many incubators, invariably they blow DOWN.

Even Brinsea have the fans blowing down, and they make arguably the finest incubators in the world.

A fan blowing 99.5F air on an egg at 99.5F, CANNOT cool it down.

They do not take longer to hatch. Quit making things up, it leads newbies down the wrong path.

I'm done now.

10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:The fan moves the same amount of air whichever direction it blows in. I have owned and built many incubators, invariably they blow DOWN.

Even Brinsea have the fans blowing down, and they make arguably the finest incubators in the world.

A fan blowing 99.5F air on an egg at 99.5F, CANNOT cool it down.

They do not take longer to hatch. Quit making things up, it leads newbies down the wrong path.

I'm done now.

I tend to agree, the most important thing to remember is the heat source and thermostat will compensate for any loss or increase in heat the fan may generate. The fan's job is to circulate air and will not affect temps!!!!!.

AL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by