Fan Kit Died =(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kthankzbai, May 6, 2011.

1. kthankzbai

kthankzbai Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    Hello..!

I have a Hova Bator 1602N and Fan Kit (bought from incubator warehouse). I have 11 Saxony Duck eggs in it.

Everything was going perfectly ok and it's now day 9. Last night I guess my fan decided to die on me and I woke up this morning with the incubator at 90 degrees!!

I frantically pulled out the fan kit to examine it and retried the wires but to no avail! The incubator itself is working perfectly fine. So I am currently running my incubator with no fan and trying to get the temperature up to 101 (I believe that is the temperature for still air???)

Do you think my eggs will be ok? Last night I turned it last at 11 PM and discovered this at 7AM... Please help me!

Also, since now I'm doing still air will someone give me instructions on the cooling process and any other tips/comments for me? I've been reading a lot of different things and would like to know from the experts. Also, a little explanation on the misting eggs with warm water.. and should you leave it open after you mist them or anything else??

I'm really in panic mode right now.. These are my first duck eggs and I really want them to be alright. I've been turning them 5 times ever day and all that other stuff..

SIGH. I'm so sad my fan died. I can't figure it out.

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Mine died I just grabed a fan from an old computer and wired it up.

3. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    In my opinion Duck eggs do better in still air anyhow, the fan tends to dry the eggs out more then duck eggs should be dried, also duck eggs do better (from my personal experience anyhow) when they are cooled and sprayed every once in a while. So I will say that your fan kit dieing was not a bad thing and maybe even a good thing.

Good luck

4. kthankzbai

kthankzbai Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    Ah I see. Thank you for the replies.

I'm having a hard time all day trying the temperature to the right settings. Keeps jumping up.. then down.. then up!! Frustrating!

If I do still air, what temperature does it need to be at? I have a Acurite digital temp and humidity on the bottom and a regular thermometer on top of the eggs.

How often do I need to mist my eggs? And do I just cool once every day?

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by